REFLECTOR: Fuel sight guages..why?

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Thu Feb 14 12:03:28 CST 2008


Yes I think your being over-paranoid.

You should see me trying to get those hoses off!!!  It is a major pull
with vice grips no less to get them off the nipples.  And thats after I
have removed the clamps!

There is no way somebody is going to pull them off intentionally or
accidentally.

Scott

> Perhaps I am over-paranoid, but I have an 8-month boy, who knocks
> everything
> down in his way and who will be 1-2-3 year old when I'll fly the Velocity
> I'm building.  I see no other bigger temptation for him in the back seat
> than to pull the tube of the sight gauge that came with the kit.
> Therefore,
> I decided to go with the Atkinson ones, even though I had a hard time
> accepting to pay $126 for a pair.  I really don't see why they are so
> expensive; there is really no big deal to build them.
>
> For the same reasons expressed by Sctt and others above, I think they ar
> useful and not that risky.
>
> Grigore
>
> On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 10:12 AM, Scott Derrick <scott at tnstaafl.net>
> wrote:
>
>> The way I see it, the sight gauges are a fool proof method of
>> ascertaining
>> your fuel status, they just work. Period. They are simple to fabricate
>> and
>> almost idiot proof.  If you change the hoses every 5 years there is
>> almost
>> no chance of a leak. You have a lot more fuel lines in the cabin behind
>> teh seat.
>>
>> Yes I have electric fuel gauges, yes I have a fuel flow meter also.
>>
>> I still like to get in, look at the panel gauges, look over my shoulder
>> at
>>  the sight gauges and verify that all is according to Hoyle...
>>
>> Scott
>>
>> > Ok Guys, I have been pondering this question for some time.  Why do we
>> > have fuel sight gauges in our Velocities?  The rationale for my doubt
>> is
>> > as follows:
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> >   1.. Before we fly, we visually observe and measure the fuel
>> quantities
>> > in each tank.  We know our fuel burn.  We know flying time.  Therefore
>> > we always know our fuel state.  Nothing else required.  Unless...
>> >   2.. We had fuel going somewhere other than into our cylinders.  IE
>> we
>> > have a leak!  Ok, we add fuel gauges.  My understanding is that fuel
>> > gauges and associated sensing equipment is much more reliable than it
>> > was in my 1977 C172.
>> >   3.. Most installations have some sort of a fuel flow (fuel used)
>> > computer to be used as a third source of fuel status.  Mine will.
>> >
>> >
>> > There we have it.  Three layers of redundancy.  We could lose any two
>> and
>> > still be aware of our fuel state.  Why add more complexity to our
>> machines
>> > by bringing fuel inside the cabin?
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> > Since so many people have the sight gauges, I fear I am missing
>> something.
>> >  Your considered opinions and thoughts please........at some point I
>> am
>> > going to be building the strakes!  Let me know what you think.
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> > Thanks...Brooke
>> >
>> > XLRG-5
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> >
>>  > _______________________________________________
>> > To change your email address, visit
>> > http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>> >
>> > Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> > Check old archives:
>> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html




More information about the Reflector mailing list