REFLECTOR: Fuel sight guages..why?
Ron Brown
romott at roadrunner.com
Thu Feb 14 10:03:47 CST 2008
I did not install sight gauges. I did install Westach capacitance probes and they are accurate until they get a bit of water in them - then they show zero.
My co pilot side sensor has had a problem about every 6-9 months. I have to pull it and blow it out. I have installed a connector to make this easier and a flap over the back of the arm storage area that is velcroed in place. The pilot side is solid and has had no problems. I also have one in the header tank which has never given a problem. I angled the 2 foot long probes to the bottom of the rear strakes. At first I had them pretty much to the bottom corner hoping to use this as a water sensor - but shortened them by about an inch. Didn't fix the water problem - but I have never gotten any water out of my system. Tight caps and good fuel sources.
I didn't like the sight gauges for the same reason - no chance of knocking one loose and having fuel leaks. Also, the pilot side is totally useless unless you have a limber neck and/or a mirror.
IMHO
Ronnie
----- Original Message -----
From: Brooke Wolf
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2008 10:45 AM
Subject: REFLECTOR: Fuel sight guages..why?
Ok Guys, I have been pondering this question for some time. Why do we have fuel sight gauges in our Velocities? The rationale for my doubt is as follows:
1.. Before we fly, we visually observe and measure the fuel quantities in each tank. We know our fuel burn. We know flying time. Therefore we always know our fuel state. Nothing else required. Unless...
2.. We had fuel going somewhere other than into our cylinders. IE we have a leak! Ok, we add fuel gauges. My understanding is that fuel gauges and associated sensing equipment is much more reliable than it was in my 1977 C172.
3.. Most installations have some sort of a fuel flow (fuel used) computer to be used as a third source of fuel status. Mine will.
There we have it. Three layers of redundancy. We could lose any two and still be aware of our fuel state. Why add more complexity to our machines by bringing fuel inside the cabin?
Since so many people have the sight gauges, I fear I am missing something. Your considered opinions and thoughts please........at some point I am going to be building the strakes! Let me know what you think.
Thanks...Brooke
XLRG-5
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20080214/96492d84/attachment.htm
More information about the Reflector
mailing list