REFLECTOR: Jeffco question
NMFlyer1 at aol.com
NMFlyer1 at aol.com
Sat Feb 9 00:17:39 CST 2008
I have not yet flown my Velocity, so take that with a load of salt. However,
I also have the world's oldest Cherokee 235. The tip tanks on this machine
are fiberglass tanks and they are nowhere near the quality and structure of
the Velocity tanks. I had to completely strip the inside of them and fix some
structural defects (after I built my Velocity tanks).
I used the leftover Jeffco I had to seal the tanks. I ended up just using
the Jeffco (mixed 2:1) and painting it inside the tanks. There were a couple
bubbles that I repaired using the Nit Picker I mentioned earlier. There were a
couple drips due to the heat of the mix and doing the entire inside of the
tank all at once.
It sealed perfectly and I have had no difficulties with that form of
sealing. I can imagine that using some cabo would thicken up the mix a bit (Kind of
like making gravy: too much is too thick.. too little has no effect).
When I did mine, there is no way I could have mixed up that much material
(stated by Scott) and had it finished before it started to smoke. Velocity might
be using a slower hardener now and that would be a good thing, but it would
also require some thickening to get optimum coverage with out running. I
applied my mixture to the Velocity and the Cherokee with a 2" paint brush.
I don't think I would thin the mix at all. I may play with the Cabo mix some
to get the consistency that you like. That is, unless, they give you a spec
sheet that says you can thin with acceptable results (using a specific ratio
and thinner).
It is a bit unnerving closing up your tanks. Make sure you have an extra set
of hands that day. There aren't many days when you need a helper to do a
Velocity, but closing up the tanks it really helps.
Kurt
In a message dated 2/8/2008 9:19:17 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
grigore.rosu at gmail.com writes:
Kurt,
The Jeffco I have was ordered about 10 days ago from Velocity. I got 3
gallons, which should be more than needed. I just did a bit of Jeffco mixture
using the proportions above and I included the cabosil and the flox, as Scott
suggested; what I got was a very thick paste; there is no chance to brush that
... I should get something thinner.
**************Biggest Grammy Award surprises of all time on AOL Music.
(http://music.aol.com/grammys/pictures/never-won-a-grammy?NCID=aolcmp003000000025
48)
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20080209/9ac73f55/attachment.htm
More information about the Reflector
mailing list