REFLECTOR: IVO Props

John Overman mooneydryver at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 7 10:36:08 CST 2008


Hiroo, I read a report by an owner with an IVO who
used "PTC" fuses. These are the electronic fuses that
"Blow" and remain open as long as the (overload/short)
persists, but reset when turned off or the problem
goes away. This owner said that the "PTC" would blow
practically the instant that a limit was reached on
the prop.
                 John Overman
                       Velocity N711VE (reserved)
                       Mazda/turbo/IVO


--- Hiroo Umeno <humeno at microsoft.com> wrote:

> I have flown IVO + Franklin combo for about 35 hours
> and over-all, I do like the setup.  I do like its
> simplicity and the failure mode (not the blade
> shedding kind) where the prop will "stick" to where
> you set it last and you can continue flying like a
> fixed pitch prop.  The pitch variation does work and
> the rpm / MP / seat of the pants will tell you that.
> 
> Like Chuck mentioned, checking the crush-plate
> torque is a MUST for first several hours.  Mine
> stopped moving after 10 or so hours but I still do
> torque it just to be sure before every flight.
> 
> One minor annoyance is that there is no limit switch
> on the thing so CB popping is the indication that
> you have reached the end of travel in either
> direction.  I haven't reached this in my fling (I
> can tell before the motor seizes that the prop is no
> longer twisting).  Also, in its default
> installation, it is not a true CS prop but is an
> "adjustable pitch" prop.  It's a bit more
> baby-sitting than a real CS prop.  You can get a
> control unit that will turn it into a CS setup,
> though.
> 
> Hiroo
> 
> 



More information about the Reflector mailing list