REFLECTOR: engine size & CS prop
lawrence epstein
ljepstein at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 4 16:46:28 CST 2008
Relative to building an aircraft, it aint such a big deal ;-).
I believe it may be considered a "major change" and in that case you need to make a log entry and you may even need to log some flight test time (I would check with my FSDO as policy seems to vary from location to location). If you have a "loss" without doing the above, your insurance may not cover you.
My thoughts are the same. I was thinking to use a Felix Prop initially and then switch to a CS when I re-charge my batteries ($$$). This way, I have a spare prop if it is needed.
Larry Epstein
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 16:01:01 -0600
From: grigore.rosu at gmail.com
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: engine size & CS prop
Greg,
How dificult/expensive would it be to transit from a fixed pitch to a CS propeller? In other words, suppose that in order to get quickly in the air, one chooses a fixed pitch propeller (assuming they are easier to get, though I'm not sure about that; they are obviously cheper though). Then in 2-3 years, suppose that one realizes that one would really like to have a CS prop. Is it difficult/expensive to switch? My question is probably very silly; I really have never installed a prop. I'm just looking for options.
Best,
Grigore
On Feb 4, 2008 3:28 PM, Greg Poole <greg at pooledresources.com.au> wrote:
For the same reasons I gave for going with the bigger engine, I would – if the budget allows it – then go with a constant speed prop. I believe it is generally acknowledged that a correctly set up CS prop will enable you a much wider performance envelope than what is possible going fixed pitch and will consequently get you up to flying speed much faster than most fixed pitches which tend to compromise one end or the other (usually both!).
While the factory has favoured MT props to date, they are not universally popular amongst Velocity drivers due to high service and purchase cost and very soft blades which have proven easily damaged…as a consequence, many of us await reports on other brands such as Vesta (how's it going Dave Dent?) and the one Milt is promoting….
Greg in Sydney
greg at pooledresources.com.au
More information about the Reflector
mailing list