REFLECTOR: tools, tools, and tools again

Lawrence J. Epstein, MD ljepstein at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 4 12:50:42 CST 2008


There is no doubt in my mind, that if I have enough fuel (translate as $$$),
I would go with the CS prop. You will be able to optimize your configuration
at takeoff and cruise and slow yourself down better on approach.  You can
take that in the context of someone who generally follows the KISS principle
(I am also building a FG even though I fly a Bonanza most of the time).  

Btw; The bottom intakes you have seen on DH’s Velo is for an upright engine.
The inverted engine is actually much narrower than a Lycoming and the cowl
can therefore be narrowed. The final cooling/intake configurations are not
set yet for the DH (although Doug says the most likely config (For the
inverted engine) uses the current NACA’s on top and the cowling will be
different (although Many are pressuring them to include the cowling in the
package). 

 

In any event, If you want to hang the engine and fly this summer, I would
say you need to start working on that real soon and the DH is not an option.

 

 

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Grigore Rosu
Sent: Monday, February 04, 2008 12:58 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: tools, tools, and tools again

 

Larry,

 

One also has to cut the fuselage differently for the DH engine, I think.
The intake needs to be underneath the airplane, from what I remember (making
the airplane also look sightly less attractive).  Don't know about others,
but I typically spend a LOT more time when I deviate from the manual,
basically because I want things to be perfect ... in a domain in which I do
not know how to define perfection.

 

I know this may sound crazy, but I'd like to finish my airplane by mid
August this year.  I started in August 2005, but have done almost nothing
for 2 years (busy with publishing for my tenure).  Now my tenure is over and
next year I'll be on sabbatical.  One could say that would be a good time to
build; however, I'd like it to be a good time to FLY.  My kit was a fast
built.  So far (last 6 months, really) I finished the fuselage (all corners
cut in the manual), the canard (all corners cut), and the landing gear
(fixed gear).  I hope I'll have the strakes finished by the end of February.

 

When should one start thinking about ordering the engine and the propeller?
The recent messages on this list (for which I warmly thank you) made me
switch my vague opinion to a Lyc 200HP engine.  Would an MT propeller work
fine with it?  I'd like to keep things simple and safe for this airplane,
and I saw lots of complaints on propellers on this list.  I wouldn't mind
picking a fixed pitch propeller either (to be honest, in our club we only
have fixed pitch propellers, so I have close to no experience with variable
pitch ones).

 

Grigore



 

On Feb 4, 2008 11:33 AM, Lawrence J. Epstein, MD <ljepstein at hotmail.com>
wrote:

It all depends on your time frame. If you are a year out from engine
install, then you have more options. 

Soon after delivery of the 1st production run, DH will have a "Firewall
forward (back)" kit available for the Velocity, which according to Doug (who
I spent about an Hour on the phone with a few months ago), should be very
complete. Therefore, I wouldn't expect it to be a whole lot more
"experimental" than the Lycosaurus.  

The first production run (awaiting delivery) includes many velocity builders
(not to mention all the prototype work to date), so there should be good
experience by the time your engine would be delivered.

If you need an engine in the next 12-18 months, then I would go with the
Lyco.

 

Larry Epstein

 

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Grigore Rosu

Sent: Monday, February 04, 2008 10:59 AM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list

Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: tools, tools, and tools again

 

Dear Larry,

 

I was and still am a strong supporter of DH engines.  When I ordered my kit,
I was 100% sure that I'd install a DH engine in my airplane.  In the
meanwhile though, after realizing how much time everything takes, I changed
my mind and decided to go for a standard and well-tested configuration.
There are many much more experienced builders than me who would be happy to
go for an inovation like that, because they have a much beter big-picture
than I do.

My hidden (from wife) plan is to finish this SEFG and then, while flying it,
to start building a new Velocity airplane, "the airplne of my drams", that
time as an "experienced" builder.  That will definitely have a diesel engine
(also, I intend to eventually move back to Europe, where diesel is a lot
cheaper).

 

Grigore


 

On Feb 4, 2008 8:16 AM, Lawrence J. Epstein, MD <ljepstein at hotmail.com>
wrote:

Since you the have the luxury of some time before you make an engine choice
(I lead a very luxurious life, I started my project 12 ½ years ago), you
should at least take a close look at the Deltahawk diesel. With any luck,
the production engines will be delivered and flying by the time you are
ready. I won't go in to the advantages here (many pages of discussion in the
archives as well as their web page), but it has been engineered & tested
primarily on a Velocity and as Avgas gets more problematic, a diesel looks
more & more advantageous.

 

Larry Epstein

173 FGE

 

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Grigore Rosu
Sent: Monday, February 04, 2008 8:59 AM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: REFLECTOR: tools, tools, and tools again

 

Dear Reflectorists,

 

Thank you everybody for the valuable input on tools and the engine.
Following your advise, I'll most likely go with the Lycoming 200HP, when the
time comes.  My original 160HP choice was based exclusively on range, but I
see the points you made, so probably in this case less range is OK for the
increase in power.  I would still be grateful for an answer on the prop arc
diameter ... or is the general advice to use a little cap chain and not
worry about positioning?

 

Regarding tools, I have just made another order with Aircraft Spruce;
another $200.  I think I spent close to $2,000 so far on tools; I had almost
no tools when I started my project.

 

For those who are just starting their project, please do not underestimate:

 

1) the number and cost of tools that you will need for your airplane; better
be realistic than  have surprizes.  Of course, if you can borrow tools from
a friend or another Velocity builder that is great; but I am totally
isolated in a university city (Urbana-Champaign) and my friends only know
how to write computer programs and solve mathematical equations; never heard
of something called "pipe flaring" :-)

 

2) the amount of extra-, initially unexpected time you'll need to spend
scratching your head or waiting for tools/materials.  Give each subproject a
generous estimate, then triple that.  I started fitting the pilot side lower
strake on January 18 and I was convinced that I would close the top strake
by the end of January if I give it all my time/energy.  There were the
"unexpected" fuel senders, which slowed me down a few good days:
"unexpected" because they were not even mentioned in the manual, and slowed
me down because I had to order and wait for them, then learn how to install,
ask, etc.  Well, now is Feb 4 and I still have to wait for the "unexpected"
finger strainers, the AN fittings needed for the change in plans, etc.
Assuming I receive these by Thursday and did not forget to order some
important little thing which will delay me one more week, then I may have a
chance to close the strake by the end of the week, say Feb 10.  Applying the
reasoning above, that probably means Feb 18 or so, making it about 1 month
of work for one strake only.  There is this Jeffco thing, though, which I
have never worked with and which has no proper webpage with detailed
explanations on how to use; I can only optimistically hope that there will
be no other "unexpected" issues with it ... though there always were ...

 

Grigore

 


_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

 


_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

 

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20080204/b1611da5/attachment-0001.htm 


More information about the Reflector mailing list