REFLECTOR: fuel system

Scott Baker sbakr at comcast.net
Sun Feb 3 03:02:56 CST 2008


Added comment to Keith's note to Noel -
The right tools are needed; so is education.
The finished shape and condition of the flare is important.
Ask someone with experience to show you how to do make the flare - and 
describe what makes an acceptable versus unacceptable flare.
Scott B.


----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Keith Hallsten" <KeithHallsten at quiknet.com>
To: "'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Sunday, February 03, 2008 2:16 AM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: fuel system


> Noel,
>
> For flaring the aluminum tubing, I used and recommend the Parker
> "ROLO-FLARE" tool (see
> http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/flaringtools2.php).  It 
> works
> for every size of tubing you will need.
>
> Be sure that you put the AN 818 nut and AN819 sleeve onto the tubing 
> before
> flaring.  I also found that a small smear of oil on the flaring surface of
> the tool helped to prevent galling of the flared surface.
>
> Keith Hallsten
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
> Behalf Of gattenby at tulsaconnect.com
> Sent: Saturday, February 02, 2008 9:07 PM
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: fuel system
>
>
> attached is a pic of what I did... fwiw
> Drilling and tapping that 1/4" al plate is a pain.
> Wish I had found those "welding flanges"
>
> I haven't ran any of the aluminum line yet.
> I assume that I'll need to flare the end of the tubing /
> use a special nut.
>
> Anyone care to educate me as to the process and what tools
> that I'll need?
>
> Noel
>
> On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 14:54:33 -0600
>  "Grigore Rosu" <grigore.rosu at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thank you for your answers on the finger strainer; I
>>guess I'll install the
>> hardpoint and the finger strainer.  This is very
>>frustrating, though,
>> because it means one more week of waiting until the
>>strainers come; I
>> thought I could finish it this weekend.
>>
>> I'd like to ask another question, this time about the
>>venting line.
>>
>> The attached picture shows where the 3/8'' hole for the
>>vent line comes in
>> my SEFG (just drilled it).  Note that I built a little
>>foam-supported flange
>> on the fuselage to support the top strake.  The flanges
>>are not sanded yet.
>> To get my vent as high as possible, I had to drill
>>through that foam.  I
>> inserted a 3/8'' aluminum line in the hole to make it
>>more visible in the
>> picture.
>>
>> The manual calls for a hardpoint for the venting line on
>>the fuselage.
>>First, there are no such hardpoint parts in my kit.
>> Second, the manual says
>> nothing about what happens from that hardpoint inside
>>the fuel tank.  Are we
>> supposed to just let an open hole there?  How can we
>>make sure that no leaks
>> find there way around that hole?  In case we are
>>supposed to seal that hole
>> with jeffco, it still appears to be difficult to make
>>sure no pin holes are
>> left, not to mention that it can be difficult, or in my
>>case impossible, to
>> paint the inside of the hole.
>>
>> I find it strange that the manual does not require a
>>hardpoint for the fuel
>> line, but it does requires a hardpoint for the venting
>>line.  Since at this
>> moment my hole trough the fuselage and the
>>flange-supported foam for the
>> venting line has about 2.5'' in legth, I'm thinking of
>>doing the following:
>>
>> 1) enlarge the hole to 1/2''
>> 2) bond the pipe with structural adhesive all the way
>>throught the long hole
>> and 4-5 inches in the tank
>> 3) even though I don't see why it would be necessary in
>>this case, I can
>> also place a 1'' x 1' x 1/8'' hardpoint on the interior
>>of the fuselage that
>> would bond the aluminum line even better.
>> 4) use no AN blue connectors for the vent lines on the
>>fuselage; in other
>> words, take the vent lines all the way from the manifold
>>to fuel tanks,
>> bonding them properly on the fuselage.
>>
>> Does anybody see any problem with my approach above?
>>
>> I understand that the connector is useful on the fuel
>>line in order to take
>> out and clean the finger strainer, but why would the
>>connector be useful on
>> the venting line?
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Grigore
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit 
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html 



More information about the Reflector mailing list