REFLECTOR: Velocity video

doug.holub at tx.rr.com doug.holub at tx.rr.com
Fri Feb 1 09:51:57 CST 2008


Wow. Mr. Rutan encourages all EZ owners to test for deep stall above 8000 feet while wearing a parachute.  If the airplane does enter a deep stall, bye-bye airplane.

Doug Holub
---- Brett Ferrell <reflector at velocityxl.com> wrote: 
> Dave,
> 
> I don't think it generally is recoverable, that's the problem.  Here are a couple of old articles on Deep Stall, offered in the name of education/safety (fair use) since they're on my website without permission.
> 
> http://www.velocityxl.com/Downloads/CP76/CP76-P2.htm - Canard Pusher 76 reprint "The Latest on Deep Stall"
> http://www.velocityxl.com/Downloads/VelocityDeepStall.pdf - Deep Stall Solution - July 1991 Sport Aviation
> 
> Brett
> 
> 
> >  -------Original Message-------
> >  From: Dave Philipsen <velocity at davebiz.com>
> >  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Velocity video
> >  Sent: 01 Feb '08 00:48
> >  
> >  John Dibble wrote:
> >  >
> >  > I believe
> >  > that for the stall test, had I not pulled back on the stick and instead used my trim
> >  > button, I would have achieved a lower speed where the main wing would have stalled and
> >  > the canard kept flying (deep stall).  This is just theory as I'm not willing to try
> >  > it.  This is my reason for recommending never to trim for level flight at a speed less
> >  > than 80 kn.
> >  >
> >  > John
> >  Interesting theory indeed.  'Makes sense too.  I would also think that
> >  as long as the canard is still flying (not stalled) you should be able
> >  to recover from the 'deep stall'.  Like you, I don't think I'd want to
> >  experiment with that though.
> >  
> >  I have, on occasion, used your technique when I'm coming in a bit too
> >  high on final (above the glideslope).  That is, I'll pull back on the
> >  stick and cut the throttle slowing down close to stall speed.  It drops
> >  pretty fast when I do that. I think the nose up attitude and the CS prop
> >  at fine pitch provides a lot of drag.  But I always pull out of that
> >  condition (I guess on the backside of the 'power curve') and get back to
> >  somewhere around 75-80 kts as I approach the runway. Usually I have to
> >  put in a little power too else I slip below the glideslope.
> >  
> >  --
> >  Dave Philipsen
> >  Velocity STD-FG
> >  N83DP
> >  
> >  
> >  _______________________________________________
> >  To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >  
> >  Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> >  user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> >  Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> >  Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> >  
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> 
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



More information about the Reflector mailing list