REFLECTOR: Aircraft Covers
Chuck Jensen
cjensen at dts9000.com
Tue Dec 16 09:21:02 CST 2008
I purchased a Velocity cover about 3 years ago (I had door leaks also) and use it all the time. Besides keeping water out, it keeps dirt off. I've never had windshield abrasion, but I make sure the windshield is clean of dirt before putting the cover on. Since I have a pitot that sticks out the pointy end of the nose, I took the cover to a boat place that makes boat covers and they cut a hole about 4" in diameter and reinforced the seam so the cover slips over the pitot & hose, which nicely secures the front while I drape the rest along the body of the plane.
The only detraction was the first belly strap attaches were the elevator is. Someday, I'll take it to the boat guy and move the strap back about 4". Otherwise, good fit, stays secure in wind and still looks as good as new.
Chuck Jensen
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]On Behalf Of Terry Miles
Sent: Monday, December 15, 2008 4:24 PM
To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
Subject: REFLECTOR: Aircraft Covers
ON AIRCRAFT COVERS
I am trying to work on my interior. (Read: fix my door leaks before I can do much else.) I am looking into aircraft covers for a simple door leak fix, or sewing a cover myself. Here's what I have been able to learn so far. If you google "aircraft covers," there are two makers. One (Kennon) won't do any experimental aircraft covers and refers you to Bruce. The other (Bruce's Aircraft covers) lists a cover for the Velocity models but will not do ours anymore citing too much variance between builders and models to make it worth his while. The fabric he uses is not real chafe tolerant so any protrusions like door handles or inlet scoops need to be custom re-inforced or the cover life is seriously compromised.
To do this myself, it is going to take pattern making time/materials and an equipment investment. I think I could make several and it would drop the set up costs to me which I think will run $1100 or so in a sewing machine + work table, seaming accessories, and some sample material to experiment with. If you are interested in a cover, read on. Otherwise you can delete this post.
The first choice is material. The longer lasting material is heavier and bulkier. The light weight stuff rolls up into a much smaller ball, but won't wear quite as long as the horse blanket stuff. Third choice is light weight, longer wearing, high tech for more money. If you were parked outside all the time, the heavier stuff might make sense. If you wanted a dust cover inside a hangar and a weekend trip rain cover, then the later would make more sense.
A run of the mill spam can cover is table cloth size pc fitted nicely and with belly straps fore and aft of the wing. (Canards can do that). These spam can covers sell for $375 to $425 or so depending on size. Canards can't do the tablecloth routine. http://www.aircraftcovers.com/index.php?cPath=1_15_615_618 <http://www.aircraftcovers.com/index.php?cPath=1_15_615_618&tplDir=fallback> &tplDir=fallback
The cover I envision is going to look a lot like this. It will be fitted to encase the nose, the upper fuselage and stretch back to include the cooling air exits, but not the prop or any of the strake. For now the anticipated price is $600 which is no more than copy catting his price for now too. I would hope to beat it by some, but not enough to impact anybody's buying decision based on cost. I don't know yet. I am not out to skin anybody, or get rich at this.
I don't want to advertise on our forum beyond this question to the group. I am not saying I will even do it. I just want to know what the interest is, and some sense of marine dingy cover material versus space age synthetics. Contact me off line at terrence_miles at hotmail.com if you want to know more. ...or you know somebody with a commercial sewing machine for sale.
Terry
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20081216/57d535d0/attachment-0001.htm
More information about the Reflector
mailing list