REFLECTOR: Accident in Las Vegas
Milton Mersky
miltonm at airmail.net
Thu Aug 28 11:48:14 CDT 2008
Andy:
Was the extensive taxi time part of the 5/1 hours? Were there any flights as part of the 5.1 hours?
Milt
----- Original Message -----
From: Andy Millin
To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
Sent: Thursday, August 28, 2008 11:32 AM
Subject: REFLECTOR: Accident in Las Vegas
Apologies for a long post. It does not involve building, or other technical issues. You may want to delete this now.
I met Mack a couple of times at OSH. I remember the first time. It was at the Velocity dinner. Duane Swing was addressing the room and Mack raised his hand to speak. Mack wanted to explain a recent Lycoming AD to the group in detail. Duane told him "we don't care, and sit down." I remember this as Duane did not add "Please." I knew Mack's heart was in the right place, and I could tell this was a guy that knew a great deal.
I am saddened by this loss. I am saddened by the way the media has treated. And dang it, I'm frustrated that I don't have an answer.
When I entered the home building arena I took a workshop at Oshkosh on the rules. I learned about the 51% rule, commercial assistance, the 25 or 40 hour fly-off period, etc. It is good to learn the rules.
I think it was sometime around 2000 when I was at Oshkosh and I met a guy that had just flown in. He had a Velocity that was a little rough, and it was in primer. He told me he was a professional builder and he built the airplane to sell it. What, not recreation and education . pure commercial venture . that's not what the rules say.
He continued to tell me that the airplane had 40 hours on it. He had flown off the restrictions as he was flying it in from California. That ain't what the rules say.
This was my earliest recollection learning that some people might not take the rules to be rules. Some are treating them as a "nice suggestion."
Through the years I have seen most builders play straight. Unfortunately I have seen others that have not.
When it comes to accidents, there can be all kinds of speculation. I have been guilty of it myself. The unfortunate part is that I have been around long enough to see enough. The only constant fact in looking at an accident is there are always things that are not known. You must read the accident report, and mentally add "and a bunch of other factors that we just don't know."
When it doesn't make sense to me, like Ueli's accident, then I know something else happened, and I just don't know what it is. An accident is rarely as simple as the obvious. And trying to put a puzzle together when you know you don't have all the pieces is just futile.
I don't think this is a jaded point of view. It is a matter of acceptance.
The aircraft in Las Vegas had 5.1 hours of flight logged. The restrictions said it had to have 5 hours on it before it could be operated at the North Las Vegas airport. It just happened to have 5.1 hours .
This just doesn't seem right. I don't know the owner. I don't know if the aircraft was Full Build, Fast Build, or Check Build. I don't know who flew the aircraft for 5.1 hours. I don't know where this flying was done. I don't know a bunch of stuff. I do know that the log book shows just enough time to make it legal to operate at that airport. Shoot me, I'm skeptical.
If the 5.1 hours had been flown at a rural, non-congested airport, then why would the owner move it to a congested airport to start testing the supercharger? I have no idea if this is hindsight, or my version of common sense (probably both), but if I was already at a rural airport and I still had testing of that nature to do, wouldn't I stay at the rural airport until I had confidence in the system? I might.
Then, how did he get the aircraft from the other airport to North Las Vegas? Fly it in from KSOW (stated home base) and then have 5.1 hours on it? Airnav says it is 279.7 nautical miles between the two airports. Yes, he could have dismantled it and trucked it in. Who would do that with what is supposed to be an airworthy aircraft?
Mack was helping the guy. If there is anyone that would know the rules, it would have been Mack; and Mack was helping.
Bunch of questions, not many answers, don't have all the facts.
Sorry for the rambling.
Andy
=====================================
Andy Millin
amillin at sbcglobal.net
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20080828/26949d86/attachment-0001.htm
More information about the Reflector
mailing list