REFLECTOR: Velocity crash
Bud Williams
rambud at windstream.net
Sat Aug 23 08:46:07 CDT 2008
This crash is actually getting a lot more attention on the RV lists (don't
ask how I know).
There are three airports in Las Vegas (not including Nellis AFB): the main
airport at McCarran; North Las Vegas Airport, where this accident occurred;
and Henderson-Sky Harbor. The Clark County Airport Commissioner wants ALL
homebuilt, training, and solo flights banned from ALL Las Vegas airports.
There is actually a special flight corridor that homebuilt aircraft flying
off their restrictions are to use when flying out of VGT (North Las Vegas
Airport). That corridor lies to the north of Las Vegas, away from the
"densely populated" area.
This accident occurred on takeoff, most likely going to the fly off
corridor.
If we, the aviation community at large allow this Commissioner to dictate
what flight activities can and cannot occur at the airports in Las Vegas, it
will set up a precedent that will have a far-reaching impact throughout the
country. This goes beyond the simple "no homebuilts allowed." I repeat: he
wants to not cut off homebuilt flying, but all training and solo flight
activity. He proposes shipping everyone down to Jean, NV...a good 30 miles
away from the southern boundary of Las Vegas. It is over a 60 mile drive if
you live in North Las Vegas.
Yes, North Las Vegas Airport is completely surrounded. I lived and operated
out of VGT in 88-91 when I was stationed at Nellis. I lived less than a mile
west of the airport, and at that time there was very little around the
airport. The town encroached on the airport, a story that is not unique to
Las Vegas. However, GA was virtually force to move VGT as they built up
McCarran. Now we have one official voice saying he is going to go to the NV
congressional delegation to have basic flying (training, solo flights, and
homebuilt flights) banned from the entire town of Las Vegas.
We need to fight this, and as good neighbors, we need to come up with
compromise solutions that protect those that were foolish enough to buy a
house that is located so close to an already existing airport.
Accidents do happen; there have been other accidents at VGT, but never has
it resulted in the call for banning any or a particular type of flying at
all of the area airports. This should happen this time either.
Bud Williams
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Scott Derrick
Sent: Saturday, August 23, 2008 9:06 AM
To: reflector at velocityxl.com; Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Velocity crash
with the number of experimental' s on the rise I think it is inevitable
that the FAA will restrict stage 1 flying to more rural airports, or I
should say not from inner city airports that don't have large open areas
around them. I have flown into N. Las Vegas many many times. Its
completely surrounded by houses, malls etc.. It would be a tough
place to make an emergency landing. So few options.
Scott
More information about the Reflector
mailing list