REFLECTOR: Fiberglass stiffness
Brian Michalk
michalk at awpi.com
Mon Aug 18 10:24:46 CDT 2008
Yesterday we attempted to do some work with the canard trim hardpoints
where the actuator mounts.
The fiberglass we bought from somewhere was coarse BID, but we could not
convince it to lay down over the corners. I compared it to some fine
bid, and it's much stiffer than the fine BID. The BID that came with
the kit was nice and floppy, so it would have made the corners just fine.
How would I know what to order? As far as I know, one orders by the
weave (fine, coarse, etc.), and the cloth weight. I haven't seen
anything for the stiffness of the cloth which would directly affect
workability.
We gave up, and left the wood shim and AL hardpoint to cure as is. We
used flox for our adhesive. Do we really need to cover a wood shim with
2x bid as called for in the manual?
More information about the Reflector
mailing list