REFLECTOR: Jeffco Problem does not look like a Jeffco problem to me, either!!!

LAURA WALKER blwalker105 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 12 08:39:52 CDT 2008


I have to agree with Joe, that this looks more like a problem with the underlying material. I can't tell from the pics, but are these large flakes purely jeffco with a resin-colored back, or are they glass with the Jeffco still attached firmly to the inner surface? The former tells me that the Jeffco didn't want to bond to your resin/glass structure; the latter says you have a much bigger problem in that the chemical bond in the resin matrix has broken completely down. I am sorry to say that the only solution to put my mind completely at ease here is to break out the chain saw, saw off your entire strakes and start over again. I know Velocity had to do this to someone's plane about 7 years ago when that person tried to both coat his strake halves, and seal them together the same day. NOT GOOD, he had huge porosity problems with fuel leaking through the entire underside of both strakes. At the time, Frank Ware was still at the factory, and the cutting-off
 procedure was accomplished without much drama. The new ones worked out fine.
Sorry about your situation, Chris, but hang in there...I'm sure you will get through this just fine. 
Bill Walker


More information about the Reflector mailing list