REFLECTOR: Investigation into Engine Failure

Alex Balic velocity_pilot at verizon.net
Mon Aug 4 23:28:28 CDT 2008


Hey John-

 

Any other update on your situation? I have chosen to replace the ECU I
bought from Crossflow with Tracy Crooks unit- has dual ECU's and programs
from a small panel without need for laptop- uses less sensors too- let me
know what the outcome was on your unit if you get a chance.

 

Thanks,

 

Alex

 

  _____  

From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of JOHN LUNNING
Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2008 5:17 PM
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Subject: REFLECTOR: Investigation into Engine Failure

 

For those who are interested in the failure of the Crossflow Subaru engine
on the 2nd flight of my VelocityXL. Initial investigation of the engine is
showing an internal mechanical failure in the engine. I'm getting low
compression on a couple cylinders and I'm get burnt oil out of the crankcase
vent on one side. The engine did fire up again but was running very rough
and I could hear mechanical tapping noises from inside. All external systems
appear to be in good working order, fuel system and fuel pumps good with
good pressure. The electrical and computer seem to be working correctly. I
won't know too much more until I tear it down in a couple weeks.
 
As usual for Crossflow, they were very quick to respond when I told them the
good news about my 1st flight, but have yet to be able to get a hold of them
to discuss the failure of the 2nd flight. I doubt highly if I will get any
factory support in diagnosing and repairing the problem. Strong possibility
I may have to abandon the project if I can't get the engine to run reliably.
I'll be starting on the leading edge damage this weekend and should only
take a couple week to repair.
 
Take warning to all those who have or are considering Crossflow for your
engine. For those who are stuck, I'll be happy provide any support or info
you might need.
 
John Lunning
N44VL
San Antonio, TX

  _____  

Connect and share in new ways with Windows Live. Get it now!
<http://www.windowslive.com/share.html?ocid=TXT_TAGHM_Wave2_sharelife_012008
> 

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20080804/970990c8/attachment.htm 


More information about the Reflector mailing list