REFLECTOR: Reflector Modernization

Matt Bucko mbuc310 at cox.net
Tue Apr 29 16:47:46 CDT 2008


Oh stop apologizing. Every time I try to talk to someone its 'sorry this" or
"forgive me that"..... or "I'm not worthy... "   Sorry, wrong movie.  Brett,
choice is good. If you create an extention to the Reflector email ring, that
does not replace the ring, it adds.  A different way to interact, search,
read... or, the same as it was. A choice.
Thanks
Matt

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]On
Behalf Of Brett Ferrell
Sent: Tuesday, April 29, 2008 2:26 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Reflector Modernization


I'm not pushing changing the Reflector, nor needlessly upsetting the
applecart,  though I do personally prefer the forum format, and would be
happy to facilitate the change if that's what folks decide they want.

Maybe folks could take a look at forums.velocityxl.com and see if they care
for that type of presentation.  If we went that way, we could maintain email
for the members that prefer to get email.  I'm running the free version of a
forum, and as such it's not particularly pretty or fully featured.  If we
moved that way, I'd be willing to upgrade to one of the better commercial
packages at no cost to the group and host the forum.  I agree with no ads
and virtually no moderation, etc., but I wouldn't want to make the change if
gives people heartburn.  I want to bring the Velocity community together and
give them more tools and information, not cause discontent.

Brett


>  -------Original Message-------
>  From: Brian Michalk <michalk at awpi.com>
>  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Reflector Modernization
>  Sent: 29 Apr '08 15:04
>
>  If the group decides to move the reflector, I strongly suggest that
>  "tvbf.org" go with it, and be maintained by the new administrator.
>
>  I registered the domain with the intent of reducing churn on all the
>  members, bookmarks, filters, etc. that people have established over the
>  years.  I also insist that the forum remain free of advertisements and
>  stay true to the charter established by the members.
>
>
>  Richard J. Gentil wrote:
>  > With all the talk about the great job Brett has done with VelocityXL I
>  > have been wondering why the group has not switched from email to a
>  > forum? (I have been meaning to mention this for ages now and this seems
>  > to be the perfect opportunity to bring it up.)
>  >
>  > I have been running phpBB (as an example) for just under 8 years now
and
>  > it is a great way for a community to keep in touch and it is a
fantastic
>  > way to build a helpful database for builders, not to mention tracking
>  > the progress of any thread. What Brett did was take every reflector
>  > email and load then into the forums. (I assume he is using the .crontab
>  > to do this automatically.) We should do the opposite.
>  >
>  > For people wanting to see emails, a compromise would be for the forms
to
>  > send out each post as an email to the people who select the option. The
>  > only issue would be that someone wanting to reply would have to post in
>  > the forums. (But there could still be ways around that.)
>  >
>  > Some of the other benefits would be the option to post large pictures
in
>  > the forums and not be limited to the postage stamp size pics we have
now.
>  >
>  >  Richard
>  > _______________________________________________
>  > To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>  >
>  > Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>  > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>  > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>  > Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>  >
>
>  _______________________________________________
>  To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>  Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>  user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>  Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>  Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



More information about the Reflector mailing list