REFLECTOR: Oil Breather
LAURA WALKER
blwalker105 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Apr 27 11:55:35 CDT 2008
Here's what I did:
Googled "crankcase breather" and found numerous automotive kits for welding to an exhaust pipe. The kits typically include two 4" bungs (with one end angled at 45 degrees and the other threaded", two valve cover breather adapters (which you may immediately throw away), and two threaded one-way check valves to thread onto the bungs and connect to a suitable crankcase breather tube. About $55 will do the trick.
I then stored one set of bung and valve and sent the other off to AircraftExhaust.net to weld onto one collector pipe of the set of tuned exhaust I am having them create for me.
After checking for fitment I will then have these ceramic-coated inside and out.
On initial engine start, I will have the tube disconnected to make sure there is vacuum at the one-way valve, then I plan to safety wire the entire bung/check valve assembly to the engine mount. This way if it breaks free of the exhaust pipe, it will not go through the propeller.
Bill Walker
More information about the Reflector
mailing list