REFLECTOR: flight simulator for Velocity

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Wed Sep 26 18:31:19 CDT 2007


I hope they aren't saying you should do that on final!  That would be 
suicidal if you had to go around. Always Prop full forward on final!

As far as descending into the pattern,  keeping the RPM's low will help 
slow you down to a point. It will also inhibit cooling to a limited 
extent, though shock cooling is overrated in my opinion.  I wouldn't 
reduce them below what the prop and engine manuals require.

Once near the pattern, within 5 miles and a thousand feet or so, I 
always increase the RPM's to a climb setting so if I need to maneuver 
I'm set up for a power increase without having to worry about messing 
with the prop.

In my old bonanza and the T210 I fly, I will just keep the prop at 
cruise RPM, 2350, in the descent, pulling back the power in 4 to 5 inch 
increments on manifold pressure. 2 to 4 minutes between each pull.  Then 
when getting close I'll increase the RPM to 2500 and either reduce or 
raise the manifold pressure to what I think I'll need for pattern entry.

When I turn base I go full RPM as the power is reduced so much the prop 
is no longer constant speed, and I'm then set up for a go around.

Scott


jmbmitch33 wrote:
> no sound with the FS-X....no dash panel either.
> 
> On a different subject, Im getting conflicting advice on slowing down the V 
> for landing.  One method is pulling back the throttle (to lower the manifold 
> psi) as well as pulling on the constant speed prop (reducing the RPM but 
> taking a bigger bite out of the air.
> 
> The other is pulling back on the throttle and pushing in (increasing the 
> RPM) on the prop.  Its an Lyc. IO360...any words and what and why which is 
> best??
> 
> Mitch
> 
> 
> ----- Original Message ----- 
> From: "Ron Brown" <romott at roadrunner.com>
> To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Sent: Sunday, September 23, 2007 10:46 AM
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: flight simulator for Velocity
> 
> 
>>
>> There are at least two Velocity Models available at www.flightsim.com  You
>> will need to join which is free but free memberships have limited access
>> hours - primarily open when the kids are not active.  It is available this
>> morning but will probably get restricted by this afternoon.  Weekday
>> mornings are good - nights are restricted unless you purchase a 
>> membership.
>>
>> FS2004 Velocity XL-5RG  -  velocit2.zip - colorful model with flight
>> director panel - works well with FS-2004 (Might work with FS X????)
>>
>> FS2000 Pro Velocity XL RG - velov2.zip - nice model which works well with
>> FS2000 and FS2002
>>
>> Panels are configurable - by picking, choosing, and modifying the 
>> PANEL.CFG
>> file which is located in the Flight Simulator 9 (FS2004)/ Aircraft/
>> (aircraft model - ex Mooney Bravo)/ Panel directory.  But this is a winter
>> time project when it is too cold to cure Velocity's epoxy!
>>
>> I agree with Brian, the FS supplied Mooney is a good approximation of the
>> Velocity performance, fly with no flaps, and use 100 kts downwind, 90 kts
>> final, and 80 knots over the numbers, and plant it before stall horn goes
>> off.  You need to get a USB Joy Stick - it is impossible to fly using the
>> keyboard arrow keys.
>>
>> I have a Garmin 430 so I popped for the Reality XP GPS simulator which 
>> runs
>> in FS2004.  I "file and fly" IFR all the time with it. GREAT practice.
>>
>> Incidentally, I have been using Flight Simulator when I started learning 
>> to
>> fly in the early 90's (FS4, DOS based).  I have used FS in all of my
>> training and practice ever since.  Even learning to fly my Velocity!!!
>>
>> Ronnie
>>
>>
>>
>> ----- Original Message ----- 
>> From: "Brian Michalk" <michalk at awpi.com>
>> To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
>> Sent: Sunday, September 23, 2007 10:09 AM
>> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: flight simulator for Velocity
>>
>>
>>> I have Microsoft FS10.
>>> No Velocity model.
>>> I haven't flown since March, but have been practicing Mooney no-flap
>>> touch and goes in the simulator whenever I get the chance.
>>> Friday I went up in a 182, and the first landing was a greaser.  Not too
>>> different from the V with the approach at 90kts.  The no-flap landings
>>> were a little bouncy though.
>>>
>>> Douglas Holub wrote:
>>>> I think spending some time with a PC flight simulator would help me when
>>>> it comes time to fly the real airplane. Is there flight simulator
>>>> software that will let me arrange the panel to look like my own?
>>>>
>>>> Doug Holub
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> To change your email address, visit
>>>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>>>
>>>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
>> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> To change your email address, visit
>>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>>
>>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit 
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> 
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> 

-- 

-
     The antidote for misuse of freedom of speech is more freedom of speech.

     Molly Ivans


More information about the Reflector mailing list