REFLECTOR: 2 bladed prop

Chuck c.harbert at comcast.net
Sun Sep 16 19:48:25 CDT 2007


Scott, I should have added that I'm running a 200 hp IO-360, and the blades 
are composite rated for 300 hp total. The  prop is  68" dia. same as my 3 
blade Catto, so ground clearance has not been a problem.

I've never asked the factory people, but maybe they know if somebody has run 
this combination, so I think I'll ask them. Thx for the response.

Chuck H

> Message: 4
> Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 16:15:00 -0600
> From: Scott Derrick <scott at tnstaafl.net>
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: 2 bladed prop
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Message-ID: <46EDAAE4.3030801 at tnstaafl.net>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
>
> the problem is that the total blade length is proportional to horse
> power. With a 180 HP engine you might be able to get by with a two
> bladed prop...
>
> We just don't have the clearance being a pusher, departing and landing
> puts the prop very close to the ground.
>
> a conventional gear, tractor style airplane can handle the longest prop...
>
> Scott
>
> Those
>
> Chuck wrote:
>> Does anyone have any experience running a 2 bladed prop on a V? I know 
>> the
>> long EZ racers use them, but I wondered what are the pro's and con's of
>> these props. I know you would get a "blanking" when going thru the
>> horizontal wing/cowl area, and you'd increase the horsepower per blade. 
>> It
>> would be noisier and less smooth, but lighter than a 3 blade. I've read 
>> that
>> a 2 blade is theoretically the most efficient type prop, but aren't as 
>> good
>> for takeoff and at higher altitudes. I gues if the racers use them, they
>> can't be that bad.
>>
>> Chuck H
>>

>
> 



More information about the Reflector mailing list