REFLECTOR: Aileron cable too short

Paula & John Schoorl pjschoorl at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 5 21:13:16 CDT 2007


http://www.velocityaircraft.com/safetybulletins.html

Steve:
Check out the above link for info on the dash 5 aileron bellcrank change.
Log into the manual section and choose the safety bulletin section.
Couldn't find an official KPC or manual update yet.  Craig and I got bit
By this change a few years back too.

John Schoorl
XL-5FG Flying
Palmdale, CA

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Steve Goldman
Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2007 6:35 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Aileron cable too short

Terry Miles wrote:
> Ya know this stuff makes me want to suggest we wikipedia the 
> construction manual.  This isn't the first work week where I have little 
> to show for my time by 5 pm on Wednesday and this for things that could 
> be amended into the flight manual.  Like:  this part doesn't fix, and we 
> don't want to engineer change the flight control system,  so just plan 
> to modify it or be aware it won't work as delivered.  I try not to be 
> negative, but truth is:  had I followed the book, my ailerons would be 
> connected backwards.  The manual change to reverse the bell cranks on 
> the dash five was because of Malcolm Collier and I called down there.  
> 

A wiki'd version of the manual would be great. I thought the factory 
wasn't too enthused the last time it was suggested. It's too bad since 
it's free labor for them. It'd be a lot more organized than this 
mailing list or searching the archives.

So maybe the wiki could just be disjoint from the actual manual and 
have commentary that refers to the supplied manual in addition to 
photos or other docs provided by builders. The other problem is that I 
know that other groups I belong to with public wiki's have a fair 
amount of trouble with vandalism.

On the subject of the dash 5 aileron bell cranks, as far as I can tell 
the manual has never been updated nor do I see a KPC for it. I had 
saved your email from March of '06 as a reminder for myself.

As far as I can see the only mention of it from Velocity is a two or 
three sentence paragraph in Velocity Views. Have you seen any other 
docs that show that the bell cranks on the aileron torque tubes have 
to be "upside down" for the dash 5?

-- 
Steve Goldman
'77 Tiger N28531
Velocity XL5-RG (T-3050hrs)
Pittsboro, NC (9NC8)
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



More information about the Reflector mailing list