REFLECTOR: Chevy numbers
Scott Derrick
scott at tnstaafl.net
Wed Sep 5 20:08:59 CDT 2007
Well, I installed the oil sump me sump I removed before having the parts
OH.
I'm sure I did something, though this being my 13th engine, I've never
had no oil before. Always a first time for everything....
If Henreitta causes my flight tomorrow to El Paso to be Canceled, I will
have time to remove the turbo and pan to see whats up with the sump.
Might even have time to remove the induction system so I can get to the
relief valve and verify I assembled it correctly before installing it.
Scott
Scott Baker wrote:
> One piece of info to look into ...
> a friend of mine had a 'shade tree' overhaul done on his Lyc -
> similar situation at first start - no oil pressure ...
> discovered the oil pick up tube was wrong spec. (tube length did not extend
> deep enough into the sump).
> SB
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Scott Derrick" <scott at tnstaafl.net>
> To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2007 9:10 AM
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Chevy numbers
>
>
>> Had a bummer happen yesterday.
>>
>> First start of my TSIO520 went well after a few false attempts. She
>> sounded good but the oil pressure never came up after about 30 seconds.
>> Put a mechanical gauge on a pressure outlet, Re primed the engine with
>> oil and tried again. No joy.
>>
>> I could see the mechanical tach output turning when I rotated the prop.
>> Its driven by the main oil pump impeller. So the oil pump is turning.
>>
>> removed the oil filter, it was dry!!!
>>
>> pulling the pan today to check the sump. If that reveals nothing will
>> inspect the pressure relief valve. After that I'll have to pull the
>> engine off the firewall to remove the oil pump....
>>
>> Scott
>>
>>
>> nmflyer1 at aol.com wrote:
>>> Scott,
>>>
>>> I hope to have the pipe extensions finish welded tomorrow. If I find the
>>> job acceptible (they come highly recommended) I'll forward you the info.
>>> I hope it works out as well as your recommendation of Custom Aircraft
>>> Parts in El Cajon. Those guys are great! They built my custom Velocity
>>> Exhaust (from my mold) and it was perfect and at a great price. I have
>>> also had them do all the exhaust work on the 235. Can't beat the
>>> quality, prices and speed.
>>> Thanks again,
>>>
>>> Kurt
>>>
>>>
>>> -----Original Message-----
>>> From: Scott Derrick <scott at tnstaafl.net>
>>> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
>>> Sent: Mon, 3 Sep 2007 8:08 pm
>>> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Chevy numbers
>>>
>>> Kurt,
>>>
>>> You probably told me already but who do use use locally to weld
>>> stainless exhaust? I have a couple small things I can tack on that will
>>> then need to be welded.
>>>
>>> Catto can make a prop that can handle just about any horse power. He has
>>> some Reno racers using his prop, one with 600+ HP.
>>>
>>> Scott
>>>
>>> nmflyer1 at aol.com <mailto:nmflyer1 at aol.com> wrote:
>>>> Dennis,
>>>>
>>>> Well, you know as well as I that what sounds quick and easy seldom is.
>>>>
>>>> I tack welded the exhaust pipe extensions/turndowns on today. They exit
>>>> through the bottom of the cowl near the back. I still have to dress up
>>>> the exit a tad, but it is looking good. I have all 3 exit scoops done
>>>> and my oil door is finished. I had to extend my upper cowl an inch to
>>>> make things line up right.. and that is done except for the finish work.
>>>>
>>>> I hope to have the pipes stainless welded this week while I finish my
>>>> cowl and rebuild the brake master cylinders. Then I can feed in the
>>>> brake line and go through the bleeding mess. After that I'll go ahead
>>>> and put the prop on and get that wired up.
>>>>
>>>> I have the Annual due on the Cherokee so that and the kids will take up
>>>> lots of time.. but I feel like I'm making progress.
>>>>
>>>> Is your beast fine tuned yet? Happy with it so far? Can Catto make a
>>>> prop that can handle that monster?
>>>>
>>>> Once the cowl is finished on mine and I have the prop on, I'll try to
>>>> work on a quick video clip and figure out where to put it so folks can
>>>> see/hear it. Have to say... I do love the sound.
>>>>
>>>> Keep on pluggin, we'll get up there eventually.
>>>>
>>>> Kurt
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> -----Original Message-----
>>>> From: Dennis Martin <dennis.doc at gmail.com <mailto:dennis.doc at gmail.com>>
>>>> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org
>>>> <mailto:reflector at tvbf.org>>
>>>> Sent: Sun, 2 Sep 2007 9:31 am
>>>> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Chevy numbers
>>>>
>>>> Kurt,
>>>> Sounds like you're cruising before you even take off. I've got some more
>>>> tweaking to do on my alternator belt drive. Then on to my cowling/strake
>>>> glass work. I think you'll fly well ahead of me, but you inspire me to
>>>> stay in the race.
>>>>
>>>> Dennis Martin, FG Elite Chevy V-6
>>>>
>>>> On 8/26/07, *nmflyer1 at aol.com <mailto:nmflyer1 at aol.com>
>>>> <mailto:nmflyer1 at aol.com>* <mailto:nmflyer1 at aol.com>*?>
>>>> <nmflyer1 at aol.com <mailto:nmflyer1 at aol.com> <mailto:nmflyer1 at aol.com
>>>> <mailto:nmflyer1 at aol.com?>>> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Dave,
>>>>
>>>> Progress is continuing well on my Chevy powered Velocity. I was
>>>> wondering if you could share some numbers with me (I'm sure others
>>>> would be interested as well).
>>>> If you have time, Im curious about the following:
>>>>
>>>> Your Horsepower
>>>> Redrive Ratio
>>>> Prop size
>>>> Cruise RPM and burn.
>>>> Basic performance specs.
>>>> Anything else you care to share
>>>>
>>>> I'd appreciate your input. I have the cowl almost finished and the
>>>> exhaust tweaking as well. Next week I hope to slide the brake lines
>>>> thru the conduit and attack the bleeding nightmare. Then put the
>>>> prop on and make some wind.
>>>> About all that leaves is some minor electrical stuff... paint and
>>>> interior.
>>>>
>>>> Thanks,
>>>>
>>>> Kurt Winker 173 FGE
>>>> 340 HP Aluminum V-6 Chevy
>>>> 1.7:1 redrive
>>>> 76" 3 Blade constand speed
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> -----Original Message-----
>>>> From: David Bertram <n350tx at tx.rr.com <mailto:n350tx at tx.rr.com>
>>>> <mailto:n350tx at tx.rr.com <mailto:n350tx at tx.rr.com?>>>
>>>> To: reflector <reflector at tvbf.org <mailto:reflector at tvbf.org>
>>>> <mailto:reflector at tvbf.org <mailto:reflector at tvbf.org?>>>
>>>> Sent: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 3:00 pm
>>>> Subject: REFLECTOR: Off field landings
>>>>
>>>> FLAVOR00-NONE-0000-0000-000000000000 4.0 ;
>>>> By the way Tom I spent $100 for new gear doors. My thought is if
>>>> you must land engine out consider all factors the best you can, then
>>>> control the aircraft and put it on the ground. I object to your
>>>> saying "always" few things are that black and white.
>>>>
>>>> N350TX
>>>> Dave Bertram
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> <http://www.incredimail.com/index.asp?id=54475>
>>>>
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> To change your email address, visit
>>>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>>>
>>>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>>> <http://www.tvbf.org/gallery> <http://www.tvbf.org/gallery>
>>>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>>> <http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail> <http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail>
>>>> Check old archives:
>>>> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>>>
>>>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>> Email and AIM finally together. You've gotta check out free AOL Mail
>>>>
>>>> <http://o.aolcdn.com/cdn.webmail.aol.com/mailtour/aol/en-us/index.htm?ncid=AOLAOF00020000000970>!
>>>>
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> To change your email address, visit
>>>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>>> <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector>
>>>>
>>>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>>> <http://www.tvbf.org/gallery> <http://www.tvbf.org/gallery>
>>>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>>> <http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail>
>>>> <http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail>
>>>> Check old archives:
>>>> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> All the best,
>>>> Dennis
>>>>
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> To change your email address, visit
>>>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>>>
>>>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery <http://www.tvbf.org/gallery>
>>>> <http://www.tvbf.org/gallery>
>>>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>>> <http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail> <http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail>
>>>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>>>
>>>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>> Email and AIM finally together. You've gotta check out free AOL Mail
>>>> <http://o.aolcdn.com/cdn.webmail.aol.com/mailtour/aol/en-us/index.htm?ncid=AOLAOF00020000000970>!
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> To change your email address, visit
>>>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>>>
>>>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery <http://www.tvbf.org/gallery>
>>>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>>> <http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail>
>>>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>> --
>>>
>>> -
>>> What county can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not
>>> warned from time to time that its people preserve the spirit of
>>> resistance.
>>>
>>> Thomas Jefferson
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> To change your email address, visit
>>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>>
>>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery <http://www.tvbf.org/gallery>
>>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>> <http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail>
>>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>>
>>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>> Email and AIM finally together. You've gotta check out free AOL Mail
>>> <http://o.aolcdn.com/cdn.webmail.aol.com/mailtour/aol/en-us/index.htm?ncid=AOLAOF00020000000970>!
>>>
>>>
>>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> To change your email address, visit
>>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>>
>>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>> --
>>
>> -
>> Truth : the most deadly weapon ever discovered by humanity. Capable
>> of destroying entire perceptual sets, cultures, and realities. Outlawed
>> by all governments everywhere. Possession is normally punishable by death.
>>
>> Richard Childers
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
--
-
The antidote for misuse of freedom of speech is more freedom of speech.
Molly Ivans
More information about the Reflector
mailing list