REFLECTOR: Aileron cable too short

nmflyer1 at aol.com nmflyer1 at aol.com
Wed Sep 5 00:49:58 CDT 2007


Terry, 



I had the same problem with my 173. I could get close, but not the required travel due to the cable limit. My dad (engineer) was over one day while I was griping about loosing my mind because I could not get the required travel. He figured out that it was impossible to get the travel in the book with the stuff provided. The easy fix was to move the bell crank hole about 1/4"-5/16". I indexed it, welded the old hole shut, drilled a new one and it is amazing how fast I got everything in spec. 



I would move the hole only the amount you need to get the required travel. The closer you move it to the pivot point, the more force it takes to move the ailerons. 



 Kurt 


-----Original Message-----
From: Terry Miles <terrence_miles at hotmail.com>
To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list' <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 6:48 pm
Subject: REFLECTOR: Aileron cable too short





Hey all,

 

I am trying mightily to finish up, the cosmos has it another way.

 

Today I tried to hook up the ailerons.  After spending lots of time and effort to get the ailerons and aileron wells just right for full aileron travel, I have found that the aileron cable assembly is not reaching far enough.  I am hitting the travel limits of the cable…not stick travel…not control surface binding.

 

Brief review:  The aileron cable attaches to a bell crank in wing root which attaches to the aileron torque tube.  The bell crank comes pre-drilled.  I am going to drill a new whole in the bell crank closer to the pivot point so I can get proper minimum aileron throw.

 

Has anybody else run into this problem?   Are there other ways to do this?

 

Terry

XL-5




_______________________________________________
o change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
ser:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
heck new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
heck old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html


________________________________________________________________________
Email and AIM finally together. You've gotta check out free AOL Mail! - http://mail.aol.com
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20070905/ba983949/attachment.htm 


More information about the Reflector mailing list