REFLECTOR: Fixed pitch props, freeze plugs, and crankshaft plugs

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Tue Oct 30 09:34:49 CDT 2007


davedent at comcast.net wrote:
> The plug that is used is not a standard freeze plug.  It is a special part 
> number and it is concave to be flattened when installed properly.  You can 
> buy then for very little from any dealer that deals with aircraft engines. 
> I think you can even buy them from A/C Spruce.

I'm assuming your talking about the inner plug. Using a standard 
automotive freeze plug for the outer plug is perfectly acceptable, as 
long as you are using the concave type and not the flat type.  I've 
replaced a few and every A&P IA I've asked said the auto plugs work 
great, are cheap and easy to get.

I've never replace an inner plug but don;t understand why a automotive 
freeze plug wouldn't work fine...

Can you explain why an auto plug would not work and which plug(inner or 
outer) you mean?

Scott


-- 

-
     "Just because I sound like an idiot doesn't mean I agree with the 
president."....from an ad on Air America Radio


More information about the Reflector mailing list