REFLECTOR: Southco fasteners
bulsr at bellsouth.net
bulsr at bellsouth.net
Tue Oct 2 17:02:09 CDT 2007
Chuck,
I would love to see those pictures, too. I'm at bulsr at bellsouth.net. My engine and cowl are about to come (IhopeIhopeIhope) from Vesta (doing a firewall aft package) and I can't wait to get going on the cowl, so I can make the flanges, so I can set the aileron bellcranks, etc, etc.
Thanks-you may have enough interest that you'll just have to post the pictures here on the reflector.
Bob
XLRG in the works in the barn
PS. How did you attach the inside flange to the firewall, or did you not have a stainless firewall?
-------------- Original message ----------------------
From: Andrew Ellzey <ajlz72756 at yahoo.com>
>
> Yes, You can send pictures to ajlz at cox.net . How many bid layup is your inside
> flange?
>
> Andy
>
> ----- Original Message ----
> From: Chuck <c.harbert at comcast.net>
> To: reflector at tvbf.org
> Sent: Tuesday, October 2, 2007 2:39:43 PM
> Subject: REFLECTOR: Southco fasteners
>
>
> Andy, the upper and lower cowls (where the curved parts mate to the forward
> fuselage) slide into a receiver groove (male into female), so there is a
> positive lock. It is tight and there is no deformity from air pressure.
> Duane has seen this on my plane and liked it. It's at least as strong as the
> screws, because you get a larger area of attachment, plus you can take off
> the cowls in under a minute, without tools and no screw heads showing.
> Lancair uses a similar cowl attachment.
>
> I'll send you some pics if you want.
>
> Chuck H
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 08:09:59 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Andrew Ellzey <ajlz72756 at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Southco fasteners
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Message-ID: <180262.78428.qm at web50811.mail.re2.yahoo.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>
> I remember this thread but was concerned that this wouldn't be secure enough
> to keep the cowling from deforming due to the air pressure in this area. I
> can't understand how anyone would be loosing screws through their prop if
> your nut plates or screws were changed when the locking feature was warn
> out. How many aircraft are flying with this cowling mod?
>
> Andy Ellzey
>
> >> -----Original Message-----
> >> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
> >> Behalf Of Andrew Ellzey
> >> Sent: Sunday, September 30, 2007 4:51 PM
> >> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
> >> Subject: REFLECTOR: Southco fasteners
> >>
> >> I am working on my cowlings and would like to know if anyone has tried to
> >> use Southco or Airloc Fasteners. I owned a M20E Mooney for 15 years and
> >> would like to make my cowlings easier to remove than the factory called
> > for
> >> 10/32 screws. I have see the piano hinge method but I didn't choose to go
> >> that route.
> >>
> >> Andy Ellzey
> >> XLGRG
> >>
> >
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
More information about the Reflector
mailing list