REFLECTOR: Southco fasteners

Craig and Denise Woolston cdwoolston at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 1 07:41:18 CDT 2007


Andy-

  We seriously considered it but decided against after doing the entire
engine cooling plenum with them and learning what was possible and not.  The
reason is the Southco's don't retract enough to slide the cowl out.  We used
piano hinges on the sides where the cowl attaches to the wing, on top and
bottom.  But for the perimeter around the firewall found it was too
difficult to get the cowl off because the Southco stays in the hole (even
with the springs under them) enough that you can't get the cowl off by your
self.
  If you changed your cowl so the outside portion lay against the fuselage
piece or even built an offset land for the cowl, then I think it would work
great.  We just didn't want to modify the cowl, we wanted to fly...
  We did you Southco's on the fairings around the exhaust cutouts.

YMMV,
Craig
XL-5FG Flying in Lancaster, CA



-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Andrew Ellzey
Sent: Sunday, September 30, 2007 4:51 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: REFLECTOR: Southco fasteners

I am working on my cowlings and would like to know if anyone has tried to
use Southco or Airloc Fasteners. I owned a M20E Mooney for 15 years and
would like to make my cowlings easier to remove than the factory called for
10/32 screws. I have see the piano hinge method but I didn't choose to go
that route.
 
Andy Ellzey
XLGRG

_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html




More information about the Reflector mailing list