REFLECTOR: Fw: Winglet Trailing edge trimming
Andrew Ellzey
ajlz72756 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 26 20:06:01 CST 2007
Not a problem, Just make sure you have the latest revision of chapter 2 wings & winglets before you cut your wings for the winglet installation. The 123 7/8 inch measurement is pictured to the tip of the wing now instead of the middle of the wing tip spar in figure 2-21 as it was in the manual prior to the May 2005 revision. This issue threw me for a loop until I called the factory to find out why my winglet-to-wing template wouldn't work.
Andy
----- Original Message ----
From: Matt Bucko <mbuc310 at cox.net>
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Monday, November 26, 2007 6:32:51 PM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Fw: Winglet Trailing edge trimming
Consternation has turned to lucidation...... or something like that. Andrew, your email caused me to re-read the manual... again, for the 10th time. I was misreading. Figure 2-17 is for an UNFINISHED foam core. My cores are finished. Sorry for being an idiot.
Section 2.2.4, winglet trimming is where I needed to be, not 1 page back looking at the wrong measurements.
Matt-
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]On Behalf Of Andrew Ellzey
Sent: Monday, November 26, 2007 4:58 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: REFLECTOR: Fw: Winglet Trailing edge trimming
Matt,
I tried to send a picture of this and it was too large for the reflector. If it comes through, this is a better explanation than I sent in the first attempt from an old response to another builder. As you can see this was another builder that had the same issue.
Andy Ellzey
----- Original Message -----
From: Andrew Ellzey
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Sent: Monday, July 31, 2006 6:28 AM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Winglet Trailing edge trimming
Jack,
I am also building my wings and winglets. I had the same issue as you are talking about. Put your winglet back in the billet half that matches the inboard side of the winglet. Mark the lines on the billet half, the 28" mark will fall on the billet half and the 12" will fall on your winglet. Now mark the 1" foam trim line on your winglet per the manual. This line will fall entirely on your winglet. Sand your billet half to match the contour of the trailing edge where the line comes off the foam of the winglet. Line you billet half with plastic to make a mold half for your lay-up. Do your inboard lay-up per the manual leaving enough cloth for the entire size per the manual. When you put your winglet in your billet half it will form your trailing edge for the correct 28". After it cures you will trim the foam back the 1" on your winglet per manual, and this line will fall on the foam. The manual also doesn't tell you what to do with the top of the winglet,
leave it squared off like it came out of the billet or round it off. I rounded mine off to a nice aerodynamic shape. If you have room to attach your wings to the spar when you are ready to attach your winglets, as the manual suggests, this is the best way to make sure your winglets and wings are completely matched. Make all of the cross check measurements the manual calls for. I used a water level at the wing tips to level both wings attached to the spar. I spent 2 full days getting everything just right, I'm hoping this will payoff in how my aircraft flies.
Happy building,
Andy
----- Original Message -----
From: Jack Prock
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Sent: Sunday, July 30, 2006 4:36 PM
Subject: REFLECTOR: Winglet Trailing edge trimming
Hi,
I am in the process of setting up the winglets for glassing. I am trying to trim
the trailing edge according to the manual, but my winglets don't seem to match
what the manual is saying. Or I am reading it incorrectly.
The manual says to measure on the top of the winglet 12" and then on the bottom
of the winglet 28" and draw a line. The problem is that my winglet taken directly
from the winglet foam billet does not reach 28". I don't know what to do. Do I
draw a line to the 28" line that is approx. 3/4 of an inch behind trailing edge foam?
Or am I measuring wrong. I am starting at the leading edge point, and measuring
across the bottom (the actual bottom...that would be facing the ground when
the winglet is installed). Does the manual mean to say to measure across the
bottom of the inboard face of the winglet? This would add inches, since the curvature of the
winglet would add to the distance.
Help
Jack Prock
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-----Inline Attachment Follows-----
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
More information about the Reflector
mailing list