REFLECTOR: Fw: Questions b4 I cut the winglet

Andrew Ellzey ajlz72756 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 26 17:38:01 CST 2007


Matt,

I had the same problem with my winglets, this is how I made it work for me.

Lay your winglet back in the billet half with the inside of the winglet in the billet, outside of the winglet facing up. Make your measurements using a square standing against the leading edge. Your measurements will not fall on the winglet but on the billet half. This will now allow you to make the winglet full size per the manual. Line your billet with a sheet of plastic to make a mold half to keep your winglet first layup from sticking to your mold. When you are ready to glass this first half, make sure that you leave enough material to reach the full size that you marked on your billet mold. Once the layup is cured you will now need to trim your trailing edge to the full measurements per the manual and as you marked it on your billet half. With your winglet now full size, mark and cut back the foam the 1 inch from the trailing edge per the manual. This 1 inch will fall on your winglet foam. Follow the manual for you second layup again putting your
winglet back in the billets to cure good and straight. I hope my explanation makes sense. This worked for me. I attached one photo showing the trimming of the foam after the first layup.

Andy Ellzey
XLRG


----- Original Message ----
From: mbuc <mbuc310 at cox.net>
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Monday, November 26, 2007 4:36:27 PM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Questions b4 I cut the winglet

I still have the dilemma of how to measure.  If I measure across the 
top, I am ok, but when I measure off of the bottom, It is past the TE. 

If I measure the 12 inches across the camber,  I am still in the foam, 
and if  I measure the bottom across the camber, it goes right to the 
trailing edge.

They look perfect the way they are!

My brain hurts.

Matt
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: 100_2475.pdf
Type: application/pdf
Size: 179005 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20071126/4c3a5669/attachment-0001.pdf 


More information about the Reflector mailing list