REFLECTOR: Smooth Prime Orange Peel

Douglas Holub doug.holub at tx.rr.com
Tue Nov 20 18:13:09 CST 2007


Hi Alex,

I primed the bottom of my entire fuselage when I primed the fillets and my nose gear wells because the fuselage is 18 years old and not really white anymore. I rolled on three coats of Smooth Prime, and ended up with some very heavy orange peel which it looks like I'll be spending the better part of two days sanding smooth again. Today I remember you once wrote something about spraying water on the Smooth Prime while rolling it? Could you refresh my memory on that, please? Will that make it flow better?

Doug Holub
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Alex Balic 
  To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list' 
  Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2007 5:19 PM
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: interference drag


  Looks really good Doug- certainly aesthetically pleasing - and it will reduce interference drag- how much hard to tell, but you can make a fast plane a few knots at a time!  I assume that you put some bid on there before the primer... I have a measly 1.5" radius right now on the strake fuselage intersection- might go fof the increase like you did- although it might interfere at the rear windows...

   

  Alex

   


------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Douglas Holub
  Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2007 11:00 AM
  To: reflector at tvbf.org
  Subject: REFLECTOR: interference drag

   

  I used pour foam to fill in the intersection between the strake and the fuselage, then shaped it with some 40 grit sand paper glued around a Clorox bottle. Here's what the fillet looks like with a Clorox bottle radius. By doing the top and bottom of the wings, strakes, and winglet intersections this way, I'm hoping to pick up a few extra mph.

   

  Doug Holub



------------------------------------------------------------------------------


  _______________________________________________
  To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

  Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
  user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
  Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
  Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20071120/459bf1b3/attachment.htm 


More information about the Reflector mailing list