REFLECTOR: Power setting gouge: First Flight

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Fri Nov 2 22:26:53 CDT 2007


We just replaced a turbo charged 520CE in a 210, had 2400 hours on it. 
Still running strong.  Our standard cruise is MAP 28, RPM 2350.  climb, 
  MAP 30, RPM 2500, takeoff,  MAP 38, rpm 2700.

I don't think aviation consumer always gets it right....

Scott

Chuck Jensen wrote:
> Terry,
>  
> 15 x 2300 gives me approx. 100 kts with the gear down with the same 
> engine.  I would think 23 x 23 will give you right at 140 kts +/- a 
> little.  Not to complicate things, but I believe that keeping the 
> manifold pressure up and rpm down will aid in keeping pressures high in 
> the cylinders to allow the rings to seat properly.  Any thoughts on 
> whether 24 x 21 is better by anyone?  As a side benefit, the lower RPM 
> will reduce piston friction a little which slows heat build up.
>  
> Long term, Aviation Consumer's study indicates its better to run low MP 
> and high RPM.  Cylinder and ring wear is more associated with cylinder 
> pressures than piston speed.  However, during breakin, where there is a 
> desire to run at as high a power level as possible, these conditions are 
> reversed.  Just a thought.
> 
> Thanks,
> Chuck Jensen
> 
> *Diversified Technologies*
> *2680 Westcott Blvd*
> *Knoxville, TN  37931*
> *Phn:    865-539-9000 x100*
> *Cell:    865-406-9001*
> *Fax:     865-539-9001*
> *cjensen at dts9000.com*
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> *From:* reflector-bounces at tvbf.org 
> [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]*On Behalf Of *Terry Miles
> *Sent:* Thursday, November 01, 2007 8:17 PM
> *To:* 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
> *Subject:* REFLECTOR: Power setting gouge: First Flight
> 
> Hi all,
> 
>  
> 
> My question is to anyone flying the 300 hp version of the XL.
> 
>  
> 
>  *I need to know in an XLRG at 5000 msl,  will it stay below 140 kts, 
> with the gear down at 23 x 2300—aprox 65% power*. 
> 
>  
> 
>  
> 
> Here is the issue:
> 
>  
> 
>  
> 
> I am up to the flight test phase.  Scott Swing told me last week if I 
> take the main gear doors off, I could go to 140 kts or so with the gear 
> down   I have a zero-time Don George rebuilt 300 HP Ly IO-540K, w/ a 3 
> bladed, controllable pitch. Aerocomposite Inc. prop.   
> 
>  
> 
> One school of thought says don’t raise the gear, but I want to keep a 
> high MAP (at least 65%) for 30 mins or so to begin the process of 
> seating the rings.  That’s if no other first flight issues require a 
> return to base. 
> 
>  
> 
> The other option obviously is to raise the gear on the first flight 
> which will take me to cruise speed regime at 5000’ and 65% power.  I 
> would the speed increases pausing at 10 knot intervals.
> 
>  
> 
> Anybody been down this road, flight testing a new airplane with a newly 
> rebuilt engine?
> 
>  
> 
> Thanks,
> 
> Terry
> 
> N821TM
> 
> Airworthiness Inspection complete!
> 
>  
> 
>  
> 
>  
> 
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> 
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

-- 

-
     Those willing to give up a little liberty for a little security 
deserve neither security nor liberty.

     Benjamin Franklin


More information about the Reflector mailing list