REFLECTOR: Power setting gouge: First Flight

Terry Miles terrence_miles at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 1 20:16:52 CDT 2007


Hi all,

 

My question is to anyone flying the 300 hp version of the XL. 

 

 I need to know in an XLRG at 5000 msl,  will it stay below 140 kts, with
the gear down at 23 x 2300-aprox 65% power.  

 

 

Here is the issue:

 

 

I am up to the flight test phase.  Scott Swing told me last week if I take
the main gear doors off, I could go to 140 kts or so with the gear down   I
have a zero-time Don George rebuilt 300 HP Ly IO-540K, w/ a 3 bladed,
controllable pitch. Aerocomposite Inc. prop.   

 

One school of thought says don't raise the gear, but I want to keep a high
MAP (at least 65%) for 30 mins or so to begin the process of seating the
rings.  That's if no other first flight issues require a return to base.  

 

The other option obviously is to raise the gear on the first flight which
will take me to cruise speed regime at 5000' and 65% power.  I would the
speed increases pausing at 10 knot intervals.

 

Anybody been down this road, flight testing a new airplane with a newly
rebuilt engine?

 

Thanks,

Terry

N821TM

Airworthiness Inspection complete!

 

 

 

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20071101/dcd80710/attachment.htm 


More information about the Reflector mailing list