REFLECTOR: Oil temps

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Tue May 29 08:10:19 CDT 2007


If you run one oil line in the port side duct and the other in the 
starboard side duct I think a nose oil cooler will outshine the rear 
cooler by a wide margin.  Separating  the  oil lines turns  each 10 ft 
run into a long oil cooler.

I did change out my 1/2 inch lines for 5/8 lines when I upgraded from an 
IO360 to a TSIO520.  Seemed like the right thing to do.  I was told the 
520 circulates about 1/3 more oil than the 360.

As Tom pointed out even with both lines in one duct and a 200HP  IO360, 
I had no problems keeping the oil cool.

Scott

Tom wrote:
> In reading this whole thread it appears that no one is asking the 
> question as to why a single (even smaller) oil cooler works perfectly 
> fine on OTHER aircraft designs having an IO-360.  I'd bet that a single 
> (rear) cooler on a velocity would work much better than a nose mounted 
> one since the oil would not have to be pushed through several yards of 
> tubing. Yes, a tractor design does add some additional slipstream for a 
> cooler but becomes less of a factor as speed increases. Cruise to cruise 
> comparison would find nose mounted coolers on pushers lacking (unless 
> they had huge tubing).
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
>
>   

-- 

-
    Truth : the most deadly weapon ever discovered by humanity. Capable of destroying entire perceptual sets, cultures, and realities. Outlawed by all governments everywhere. Possession is normally punishable by death.

    Richard Childers 



More information about the Reflector mailing list