REFLECTOR: Cylinder Cooling

Donald Royer djroyer at earthlink.net
Mon May 28 14:32:41 CDT 2007


The cylinder numbering is reversed between the Franklin and the 540. On the
Franklin, #6 is the cylinder nearest the propellor.

On my Franklin, I have some evidence that #6 is probably the leanest
running cylinder.

Don


> [Original Message]
> From: Pat Shea <xl340hp at yahoo.com>
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Date: 5/28/2007 12:19:54 PM
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Cylinder Cooling
>
> Chuck,
>
> With the o/h naca and plenum system, the #6 cylinder
> tends to run hottest as it is closest to the firewall.
> The consensus seems to be that the air coming down the
> naca runner tends to flow over the #6 cylinder. The
> same is normally true for the #5 cylinder but to a
> lesser degree. 
>
> I believe some have had success installing turning
> vanes in the co-pilot naca to direct more air over the
> #6 cylinder. On mine, I actually changed the shape of
> the co-pilot runner during istallation by splitting it
> down the side and then opening up (lowering) the end
> that attaches near the engine. My #5 and #6 cylinders
> tend to run about 20* warmer than the others. I
> considered installing some 1/2" high Vg's in the
> runners about 6" ahead of the #5 and #6 cylinders but
> haven't tried that yet. 
>
> With my angle valve IO-540, I have noticed a similar
> increase is oil temps as you when increasing RPM from
> say 2,400 to 2,500 RPM while maintaining a constant
> power setting (24" X 2,400 or 23" X 2,500).
>
> Pat
>
>  
>
> -- Chuck Jensen <cjensen at dts9000.com> wrote:
>
> > Hiroo,
> >  
> > My #6 runs the hottest on my IO540 but I always
> > attributed that to the
> > oil cooler tapping off NACA air right in front of
> > it.  I have the
> > pressure box on top of the engine with CHT in the
> > 340F-360F common and
> > #6 about 400F.   
>
>
>
>
>  
>
____________________________________________________________________________
________
> Expecting? Get great news right away with email Auto-Check. 
> Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.
> http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/mailbeta/newmail_tools.html 
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html




More information about the Reflector mailing list