REFLECTOR: Painting aluminum

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Mon May 21 21:53:46 CDT 2007


First thing is to alodine the parts.  Its one of the best and easiest 
ways to put a really good protective coating on aluminum.  As sells the 
chemicals to do it.

Now why paint.  If the parts aren't visible your done.  Alodine isn't 
clear but provides a nice golden sheen to the aluminum.

If they are visible alodine provides a good base for your primer. 

Scott

Andy Millin wrote:
> Suggestions please,
>
> I have some aluminum pieces that I would like to protect.  I'm a novice when
> it comes to paint.  I have tried to paint some aluminum parts before and it
> was dismal.
>
> Small parts.  I cleaned them with a DuPont prep-wipe first.  I used a spray
> can acrylic.  It looked good, but did not bond; flaked off by just rubbing
> it.
>
> I would like a clear coat.  It is just pieces.  Probably no more than 4
> square inches.
>
> Can anyone recommend something?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andy
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
>
>   

-- 

-
    Truth : the most deadly weapon ever discovered by humanity. Capable of destroying entire perceptual sets, cultures, and realities. Outlawed by all governments everywhere. Possession is normally punishable by death.

    Richard Childers 



More information about the Reflector mailing list