REFLECTOR: Lycoming IO 360 C1C Valve Problem Question
Joel Smith
joels at austin.rr.com
Wed May 16 23:02:21 CDT 2007
Thanks for your reply Mack, great info! Your info matches my current
research.
MMurp16900 at aol.com wrote:
> Hi Joel
> subject Valve problem.
> I have a lot of experience overhauling Lycoming engines.
> Did you know that the intake and exhausted valve rocker arms look
> similar but must not me interchanged.
> On some models valve springs can be installed upside down.
The springs must be tapered? I would not think it would matter if not
tappered.
> A magnet must NEVER used to remove tappets.
Yes, I actually found claims where demagnetizing the lifter restored it
to normal operation. The lifter being magnetized must cause the lifter
to retain metal fragments. I will check it's magnetic characteristics
and demagnetize if necessary. I didn't know to NOT to USE a MAGNET and
didn't think about this during disassembly.
> The tappets should removed using safety wire or dental pick.The
> lifters may me cleaned in solvent, air dry reassembled dry.
> reassemble the all the valve assemble.
This is the current plan. If there is any varnish or foreign matter it
should restore clearances. I think when reassembled it will work fine. I
am thinking it's a debris issue in the lifter.
> bring each cylinder to T.DC on compression stroke.
> Rocker valve clearance and valve stem tip should .028-.080.
This is the plan, good info.
> If clearance is out of limits adjust by using a longer or shorter push
> rod.
> After engine run -in desired .010 inch however .006/.012 is acceptable
This is the plan, good info.
> Mack Murphree
> A/P I/A EAA Technical counselor
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> See what's free at AOL.com
> <http://www.aol.com?ncid=AOLAOF00020000000503>.
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20070516/fb0a107e/attachment.html
More information about the Reflector
mailing list