REFLECTOR: Power settings

Pat Shea xl340hp at yahoo.com
Wed May 16 16:09:06 CDT 2007


Chuck,

I think we're pretty much doing the same thing - just
using different gauges for reference. 

Once you're out of the RPM range on the prop (and it's
full forward), a given MP will translate to a certain
RPM and vice versa. So which of the two gauges you
choose to refer to is probably a matter of personal
preference.

In the end we are using gauges/numbers to get us in
the game for the approach, then adjust accordingly
depending on how the approach is going. If I set say
1,700RPM and I'm too high, I'll try 1,600. If that's
still not enough, I'll try 1,500. Once I realize i'm
now way too short, I'll increase the RPM up to 2,000
and realize that I should have just left it at 1,700
in the first place... 

To me, RPM gauges seem to be a more responsive, but I
haven't really given MP gauges a fair shake in the
pattern. I can't even tell you my MP on base - I'm too
busy staring at the RPM gauge!

I control airspeed with pitch and decent rate with
power, which is a whole other can of worms...

Pat
  
--- Chuck Jensen <cjensen at dts9000.com> wrote:

> Pat,
> 
> That's backwards of what I learned (but hey, that's
> not unusual in
> itself) and more in keeping with the fixed prop
> method but I'm curious
> to give it a try.  What MP setting do you shoot for?
> 
> Chuck Jensen
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org
> [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
> Behalf Of Pat Shea
> Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2007 4:07 PM
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Power settings
> 
> 
> Chuck,
> 
> Once in the pattern my prop control is full forward.
> It's essentially operates like a fixed pitch at that
> point - the RPM is determined by the throttle
> position
> - as is MP. I just find RPM settings to be more
> precise and critical then MP. I have a VM 1000 in my
> Velocity, but I found the same was true in my '58
> Comanche as well.   
>  
> I agree with KISS - I use are 1,900RPM abeam and
> 1,700RPM on base. If straight in, it's 1,900RPM 3
> miles out and 1,700RPM at 1 mile out.
> 
> Pat
>  
> --- Chuck Jensen <cjensen at dts9000.com> wrote:
> 
> > Pat,
> > 
> > With the CS prop, you control descent with RPM,
> not
> > MP?




       
____________________________________________________________________________________Got a little couch potato? 
Check out fun summer activities for kids.
http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=oni_on_mail&p=summer+activities+for+kids&cs=bz 


More information about the Reflector mailing list