REFLECTOR: Incident at PDK

Donald Royer djroyer at earthlink.net
Tue May 15 10:14:33 CDT 2007


Chuck,

I agree with eveything that you say about PDK. I was based there years ago and I have seen it all. The runway was one of the factors that I chose not to mention. It was 02L, the only one that is worse is 20R with the sunken threshold.

The reason that I could say with confidence that shimmy was not a factor this time was that I have Ken Mishler's nose gear lock and it was engaged. It was salvageable and I plan to reinstall it.

Don


----- Original Message ----- 
From: Chuck Jensen 
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Sent: 5/15/2007 6:22:44 AM 
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Incident at PDK


Don,

It's good to hear that things are in relatively good order---in the whole scheme of things, fiberglass is easy to fix.  You didn't say which runway it was, but if I was a betting man, I'd put my money on the runway being 02/20?  With anything more than a light breeze out of the west, a person is always in for a ride and with strong gusty winds.....well!!  It must be the air tumbling over the buildings to the west or somethings, but there's alway an interesting ride into 20.  People sit on the 2nd story balcony of the restaurant there and get their entertainment watching GA aircraft attempt smooth landings.  There's always a groan when someone actually greases one, otherwise let the ballooning, bouncing and porpoising begin.  Approach almost always uses 20 for GA...sadists.

Regarding the shimmy you mentioned, I highly recommend Ken Mishler's nose gear pin.  Works like a champ.  I believe its available through Velocity, even though I bought mine direct from THE MAN.
Chuck Jensen 
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20070515/4b4b1b67/attachment.html 


More information about the Reflector mailing list