REFLECTOR: End of the Engine Saga

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Sat May 12 19:56:27 CDT 2007


Too bad Superior let you down Richard.  I feel for ya, after having to 
give up on Vision Micro System after waiting 9 months for a 8 week lead 
time engine monitor.

Very interested in your P-Mag experience.  I've been waiting for them to 
announce the 6 cylinder version...

Scott

Richard J. Gentil wrote:
> After all this time waiting for the XP-400S.R.E. from Superior (deposit 
> was paid back in June.) I finally ordered another engine.
>
> I am running out of things to do on the Velo, before the engine arrives. 
> I just could not see leaving the project in the corner for 6 months or 
> more, collecting dust, while waiting on an engine.
>
> I tried Ly-Con thanks to the recommendation in these forums. They 
> offered a high compression IO-390X but they did not have the kit from 
> Lycoming in order to do build the engine and we were look at up to 12 
> weeks before it would be ready.
>
> I also tried Thunderbolt (Lycoming's in house operation) but in order to 
> get a high compression IO-390X it was an $8,900.00 add on, which is just 
> too much. (Ly-Con was only $1000.00 for the 10:1 Cylinders and $200.00 
> to set the timing on the CAM.) For a plain Jane IO-390X from 
> Thunderbolt, it was going to be on month.
>
> Mattituck had an IO-390X in stock so I went with it. If anyone went by 
> their booth at Sun'n Fun, it is the engine they had on display. The 
> engine has the E-Mag/P-Mag combo on it:
>
> http://www.emagair.com/
>
> The E-Mag/P-Mag combo does offer some advantages over the dual 
> Lightspeed I was planning, since the P-Mag will generate it's own power 
> and sustain itself should voltage drop below 12.7V.
>
> This simplifies my dual battery, dual bus setup. Now, instead of going 
> with two Alternators (I was planning the B & C 20a Alternator on the 
> Vacuum pad) I can just go with a 50a Alternator and use a diode in line 
> to the second battery. Then I can set the batteries to be able to switch 
> between buses.
>
> Richard
>
> P.S. Shame though, I really wanted to see what the SE-RG would do with 
> 250Hp and not having extra weight added.
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
>
>   

-- 

-
    "Just because I sound like an idiot doesn't mean I agree with the president."....from an ad on Air America Radio



More information about the Reflector mailing list