REFLECTOR: One or Two oil coolers?

Velocity velocity_az at cox.net
Fri May 11 18:18:28 CDT 2007


IO360-C1E6 with 10:1 pistons (from Lycon in Visilia CA - dynoed at 230 hp) -
173FG - 1 cooler in front - summer flying in AZ I watch my climb rate to
keep oil temps below max, but after level off oil temps drop to 200-215. In
winter (in AZ) oil temps 180-200.

Kevin 

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Brian Michalk
Sent: Friday, May 11, 2007 4:12 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: One or Two oil coolers?

What is your compression ratio?

Are all the high compression guys running two coolers?

Ron Brown wrote:

>  
> I agree with Scott - one oil cooler is enough.
>  
> I got one cooler mounted up front.  Works great with my IO 360 200 HP.  
> Has for 330 hours.  As I have mentioned before, it can run hot if take 
> off right after shutting down like picking up Young Eagles.
>  
> Also works great on those long taxi runs at Oshkosh and Sun-n-Fun.  
> 320-330 degrees is the norm on the ground and in cruise - I have my 
> high oil temp alarm set at 360.  If it goes off, I lower the nose a 
> bit, pull back on the power a bit, and we keep on climbing to cruise 
> altitude (8000 ft.)  I cruise at 155-160 kts, 2600 rpms, 8 GPH, LOP.
> One cooler will do the job if installed correctly. 
>  
> There's only one cooler on most other airplanes - I don't know why the 
> Velocity got stuck with two???
>  
> Ronnie
>
>     ----- Original Message -----
>     *From:* HYTEC45 at aol.com <mailto:HYTEC45 at aol.com>
>     *To:* reflector at tvbf.org <mailto:reflector at tvbf.org>
>     *Sent:* Friday, May 11, 2007 6:32 PM
>     *Subject:* Re: REFLECTOR: First Flight for N173RT
>
>     In a message dated 5/11/2007 2:05:37 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
>     scott at tnstaafl.net <mailto:scott at tnstaafl.net> writes:
>
>             I'm in complete disagreement with TEC.   One cooler will
>             do fine for a 200HP IO360 if its installed correctly
>
>      
>
>             I also have an engine compartment cooler in series with
>             the nose cooler.
>
>
****************************************************************************
************************************
>     Wow, You are in complete disagreement with me, apparently on both
>     my suggestions regarding oil coolers,as you say one is good
>     enough, yet you apparently have two. Hmmmm.
>     TEC
>
>
>
>
------------------------------------------------------------------------
>     See what's free at AOL.com
>     <http://www.aol.com?ncid=AOLAOF00020000000503>.
>
>
------------------------------------------------------------------------
>     _______________________________________________
>     To change your email address, visit
>     http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>     Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>     user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>     Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>     Check old archives:
>     http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>-----------------------------------------------------------------------
>-
>
>_______________________________________________
>To change your email address, visit 
>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose 
>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check old archives: 
>http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>

_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose Check
new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check old archives:
http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



More information about the Reflector mailing list