REFLECTOR: Odyssey Battery
Rene Dugas
dugasd at bellsouth.net
Thu May 10 17:10:08 CDT 2007
I have used the PC925 for 4 years and replace the first one last year.
I put the old one in my lawn mower because I forget to charge it. The
deep cycle is really great and the shelf down time is incredible. My
Lycom IO-540 cranks almost forever on this one battery with # 2 cables.
Rene'
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Alex Balic
Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2007 7:48 AM
To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Odyssey Battery
I have 2 925's in my all electric plane- made an aluminum tray that
holds
them tightly- they have recessed terminals so you can stack them any way
that you want- really the stack of 2 925's is about the same size and
weight
as a standard automotive battery...... most of us need some extra weight
in
the nose, might as well be functional.....
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of jewen at comporium.net
Sent: Wednesday, May 09, 2007 10:02 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Odyssey Battery
The PC680s seem to be rather popular. Depending on your load
requirements, you may also want to consider the PC925 it is 28 Ah. It
is
a tight fit, but it does fit in my 173 RG. In fact I wil be using 2,
one
stacked on top of the other. My loads may be a bit higher than normal
(ECU on an auto conversion, Glass Cockpit computer, and IFR) so I want
all
the Ah I can fit. The 925 only costs $25 to $30 more than the 680, so
in
my case I will be a bit more comfortable with the extra reserve. And I
may not need ballast when flying solo. Your mileage may vary.
Joe
On Wed, May 9, 2007 6:09 pm, John Tvedte wrote:
> Chuck,
>
>
> A B&C is a wound field starter - just like the inline high-torque
> Skytecs....
>
>
> The internal resistance of the AGM PC680 is very low - so it can
provide
> high currents.
>
> I think you will find the combination of the B&C and PC680 (assuming
#2
> wire) will start your engine just fine. That said - I think one needs
to
> take into account what Pat said about OAT being zero, etc.
>
> Load analysis is what I suggest you think about - how much current are
> you drawing - during your mission - assuming IFR - and you have
> alternator failure... is 17Ah at that point enough.... capacity
testing
> that battery? Notice that the Ah rating depends upon how fast of
current
> draw - 20hr rate vs 100hr rate)
>
> In my case, I'm using a dual battery setup - and can cross feed - so 2
> PC680's.... 30.8lbs of battery....
>
>
> I'm not flying -
>
>
> John
> XL-FG
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives:
http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
More information about the Reflector
mailing list