REFLECTOR: Odyssey Battery
Chuck Jensen
cjensen at dts9000.com
Wed May 9 08:23:23 CDT 2007
Keith,
I concur with the two different missions for the battery, though I
understand the PC 680, in good condition, should be adequate for both
missions; namely cranking an IO 540 as well as provide escape time from
IFR electrical failure. The IFR escape capacity of the battery holds
importance to me. The PC 680, in good condition, seems to have the 17
AH seems adequate to "get home" if the electrons stop birthing and
several parties report the 680 CA is amply to spin the IO 540, so I'm
going to give it a go.
My current FLA battery is getting to the point that even after a good
charging flight, the next day it just barely makes the start, though it
always has. Of course, when I install the PC 680, if I still have the
same problem, then I'll know to look elsewhere. I believe this process
is known as being a "parts replacer" rather than a mechanic. Of course,
being a parts replacer makes me qualified to work in most any automotive
shop these days!
And Pat, looking at your 38# monster battery, I'm thinking if your
alternator goes out, that you'll just have to remember to fix it after
two or three days of flying. It's got enough juice to get you home,
back again and home again.
Chuck Jensen
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Keith Hallsten
Sent: Tuesday, May 08, 2007 9:52 PM
To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Odyssey Battery
Chuck,
Sure - even a very small sealed lead-acid battery will crank the
engine... However, if you file IFR or fly at night and don't have a
back-up alternator you should consider establishing a minimum capacity
for the battery that will be sufficient to get you to your intended
destination without breaking a sweat. That's an entirely different
question and will depend on your enroute electrical loads for, say,
night flight. If you stick to day VFR, this is not a significant
consideration unless you have an electrically dependant engine (EFI,
electrical fuel pump only).
Keith
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Chuck Jensen
Sent: Tuesday, May 08, 2007 4:16 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: REFLECTOR: Odessey Battery
Is the Odessey PC 680 battery sufficient to crank the IO-540?
Chuck Jensen
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
More information about the Reflector
mailing list