REFLECTOR: Wheel Pants effect

SlvEgl99 at aol.com SlvEgl99 at aol.com
Fri May 4 21:29:06 CDT 2007


I think it makes a great deal of difference as to what type of pants you  
have as well as to how well you are able to "trim" them to reduce drag. I know  
that over time Velocity has changed deisgns a few times ending up with what I  
got, which were referred to as "gold fish shaped". They were supposed to be  
aerodynamic, but looked very large to me. 
 
I tore up the first set with a bad landing. When I got the new ones I cut  
about 2.5 inches of width out of them. May not be as good as the originals, but  
I like them better. I also installed an 1/8" aluminum sheet on the the gear  
legs. This sheet is mounted between the gear leg and the axle stub. The 
aluminum  extends a good 7" forward, 6 " up and 8 " to the rear of the leg. They 
attach  with the four mounting bolts for the axle stubs and provide a great heat 
sink  and shield. I attached the two halves of the wheel pants. As XL guys may 
know,  they are molded with a front and back half and you are supposed to 
join them. I  joined them permanently at the joint with glass and , cut out about 
a 2.5 inch  slice down the centerline.  I then fit them on the gear and cut 
them  along the joint with the new aluminum shields. I then made a fairing to 
go  around the inside of the gear legs. 
 
I suspect that Scott B could make some educated guesses about the various  
types.
 
Bob Wood
XL FG



************************************** See what's free at http://www.aol.com.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20070504/7373b31f/attachment.htm 


More information about the Reflector mailing list