REFLECTOR: STICK & RUDDER

Lawrence Epstein,MD ljepstein at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 27 11:59:18 CDT 2007


In case you are interested, here is the difference:

 
These are from:
            http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aviation/pilot_handbook/
 
You should not use "full deflection of control surfaces @ VNO. VNO is
Faster than VA
 
Larry Epstein
 
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Laurence Coen
Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2007 12:30 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: STICK & RUDDER
 
Thanks for the definition.  I looked in my handbook and did not find a
Va but there is a Vno (maximum design structural cruising speed) which
is the top of the green arc.  I don't know just what the difference is
but my manual puts it at 170 Knts.
 
Tom,
 
Here's what I think is happening from your description.  First I think
that your left winglet has more tow in than the right one and this is
why you had to shim the right rudder.  Second I believe that full right
rudder at high speed is twisting the top of the winglet to the point of
a negative angle of attack in the relative wind causing the winglet to
flutter, not the rudder. I am concerned that you are exceeding the
design limits of your aircraft and are on the brink of causing a
catastrophic structural failure.
 
Larry Coen
N136LC
----- Original Message ----- 
From: Lawrence <mailto:ljepstein at hotmail.com>  Epstein,MD 
To: 'Velocity Aircraft <mailto:reflector at tvbf.org>  Owners and Builders
list' 
Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2007 3:21 AM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: STICK & RUDDER
 



More information about the Reflector mailing list