REFLECTOR: STICK & RUDDER

Keith Hallsten KeithHallsten at quiknet.com
Tue Mar 27 00:06:47 CDT 2007


Tom,

 

It seems unlikely that it's true "flutter" if it's a fully-deflected rudder.
Are you sure there is no slop or play in any of the rudder hinges?  No doubt
it is a vibration, but the task is to find out what is actually vibrating.
Does it seem to be the entire right winglet, or just the rudder itself?
Could it be that the LEFT rudder is fluttering when the right rudder is
fully deflected?

 

Keith Hallsten

 


Tom Martino wrote: 

 

By the way . I get no flutter until the end of the right rudder travel.  I
get no flutter on the left rudder at all . no matter how far the travel.
And I never get flutter in a roll one way or the other (no matter how steep)
. without rudders.

 

 

  _____  

From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Scott Derrick
Sent: Monday, March 26, 2007 9:42 AM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: STICK & RUDDER

 

Tom,

I would first verify your "ball" is set correctly.  You know the drill,
level the plane, check the ball.  If you have the standard fuel set up with
a single cutoff switch, you fuel burn will act as a yaw sensing device. If
the plane is not trimmed correctly(everything else according to hoyle, ie,
fule caps tight, no leaks in vent system, etc.) you will have uneven fuel
consumption between the left and right fuel tanks..  

If you do have even fuel flow, verified with at least an hours level and
straight cruise test, I'd adjust the ball in flight to register in between
the lubber lines.  If the fuel flow is not even shim the right rudder out a
bit more.

Regarding the right rudder flutter.  That should be dealt with no matter
what the yaw situation is.  Have you called the factory and asked about
that?   Do you get the flutter in a hard roll with out using any rudder? Or
half rudder?  

You asked a while ago about how fast to test for flutter. I'd recommend  you
test for 10 to 20% higher than your fast cruise speed.  Test at altitude.
Test carefully, 5 knot increments using the knock method on the controls. 

Scott


Tom Martino wrote: 

At first I thought it was just the weather, or maybe an uneven fuel load .
but I can no longer deny it.  My plane still yaws a bit to the left (which
means I have to touch the right rudder to make it fly perfectly straight).
So I have the following questions and would like those with more experience
to answer:

 

1.	The ball is only a tiny bit out of center and I can get speeds of
200 KTAS or more . so should I leave the damn thing alone?
2.	The plane is almost perfect ... so should I make it fly perfectly?

 

I should also make these observations:

 

--I already shimmed the wings with washers several hours ago - which helped
a lot . but there is still a slight yaw,

--I also shimmed the right rudder out a bit (right after I did the wing) .
it seemed near perfect . but still a tiny yaw.

--When I am at higher speeds (170+ TKAS) and make a hard right turn with
full right rudder . the right rudder will flutter a bit.

--When turning left at the same speed . no flutter at all.  Is this because
I shimmed the right rudder out a bit to begin with?

 

ANY AND ALL COMMENTS APPRECIATED.

 

I have taken a lot of time to make this an exceptional bird . am I going too
far?  

 

Tom Martino

 
 
 





  _____  



 
 
 
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
 
Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html






-- 
 
-
    As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both
instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged.
And it is in such twilight that we all must be most aware of change in the
air however slight lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness.
 
    William O. Douglas, Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court 
 
 





  _____  



 
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
 
Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html





-- 
 
-
    The most effectual engines for [pacifying a nation] are the public
papers... [A despotic] government always [keeps] a kind of standing army of
newswriters who, without any regard to truth or to what should be like
truth, [invent] and put into the papers whatever might serve the ministers.
 
    Thomas Jefferson to G. K. van Hogendorp
    Oct. 13, 1785. (*) ME 5:181, Papers 8:632 
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20070326/2df82b8b/attachment.htm 


More information about the Reflector mailing list