REFLECTOR: IVO prop adjustment

John Dibble aminetech at bluefrog.com
Tue Mar 20 14:51:05 CDT 2007


Mike,

That helps a lot.  I just have one washer on either end.  I don't see
why it matters to have a washer on the coarse pitch end.  I get 2600 rpm
at the beginning of the TO roll.  I do overspeed at liftoff.  However,
previously I was limiting climb to 1000 fpm due to oil cooling
problems.  I think I have fixed the cooling problem by extending the
cooling air exit duct below the fuselage, but haven't had the
opportunity to check it out in warmer OATs.  Maybe I won't overspeed if
I can climb faster.  What rate do you climb at?  But there's more to the
story.  I just had IVO take 3/4" off the blades.  Not something I
necessarily wanted, but I wanted to match them to 2 old blades so I
would have spares (they don't make white ones any more).  They told me
that the shorter blades would have less climb, but better cruise.  I
don't feel I need more climb, and who doesn't want more cruise speed?
So, I'll see what happens when I get back home and get the blades on.
I'm expecting that I will need at least another washer on the fine pitch
end.

John

Michael Watson wrote:

> I have not changed one washer to see the change in RPM, but,
> I have three washers on the inside on the worm gear (engine side)
> and two washers on the outside of the worm gear. This results in
> full throttle static fine pitch of 2550 RPM and 2760  RPM in cruise.
>
> I originally had  two washers on the engine side of the worm gear and
> the engine would tend to over speed (2800+ rpm) at lift off. So, ma be
> one
> washer made a 40~60 RPM difference. Hope this help.
>
> --
> Mike W
> 1997 Velocity Elite RG
> Franklin /IVO Electric CS
>
>    ----------------------------------------------------------------
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives:
> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20070320/0e6e6f41/attachment.html 


More information about the Reflector mailing list