REFLECTOR: underwing baggage pods

HYTEC45 at aol.com HYTEC45 at aol.com
Tue Mar 20 10:10:58 CDT 2007


 
In a message dated 3/19/2007 9:21:46 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,  
h.smith61 at verizon.net writes:

Tom,  I understand from Scott Baker that you  have constructed underwing 
baggage pods.  I also understand that they are  mounted on pylons to make them 
removable.  I was wondering how you did  that, where you mounted them on the 
wing.  I would appreciate any  information you could supply and/or any drawings 
you might be willing to copy  to me.
 
I am building an XLRG and I want to put a  turboprop in it.  But I need to 
increase the fuel capacity and I was  thinking that external tanks would be the 
way to go.  I was thinking in  the order of 10-20 gallons for each tank.  And 
I know they have to be  empty when landing.
 
So I was wondering if your baggage pods could be  adapted or at least give me 
some valid ideas as how to go about doing  this.
 
Thanks,
 
Hal  Smith



Hal,
 
My pods (kit form) were manufactured by my friend Bruce Tifft for use on  
EZs.  These are the same pods that are on many EZs today.  Bruce also  made one 
of the best props for the same.  Bruce gave me a set of pods when  I was 
building (89-94) to adapt to the Velocity (STD only at that time) for  a new market. 
 I did so, and they have served me well since then.   Unfortunately, Bruce 
passed away in the mid 90's and the whereabouts of the  molds are unknown to me. 
 I have heard that some guys from California  purchased all his prop building 
tooling along with the pod molds and they are  still being made.  In thinking 
about this for a day, I think the company is  Featherlite 707-462-2939.

 
The problem with the pods for use with fuel would be the CG shifting  
relating to pitch change.  My pods sit at 140" station on my STD-RG which  is aft of 
the envelope.  They are attached to hard points located in the  outer 8" of 
strake outside of the outer fuel bulkhead.  While I'm sure  moving the pods 
inboard on the strake, say to hard points located in the baggage  area of the 
strake would bring the CG forward, the shifting of fuel would need  to be 
addressed.  The pod (kits) could however be re-enforced to handle say  10 gal. each 
with little problem.  They are currently very thin,  approximately .04 thick, 
but could be wrapped additionally for strength.
 
Give the above # a try.  I can provide my mounting method I used  on my V for 
your review.
TEC



************************************** AOL now offers free email to everyone. 
 Find out more about what's free from AOL at http://www.aol.com.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20070320/5acf40bd/attachment.htm 
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 30342 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20070320/5acf40bd/attachment-0001.jpe 


More information about the Reflector mailing list