REFLECTOR: Cirrus and Velocity

nmflyer1 at aol.com nmflyer1 at aol.com
Mon Mar 19 11:16:27 CDT 2007


Tom, 
 
Ohh yes, how things change. I bought the 173 FGE kit only to discover a couple months later that the factory had come out with the XL. No biggie, I was single with no kids. 
 
Now they come out with the XL-5.. Like a fast, flying livingroom!!  By I'd like that. I am now married, with 2 stepkids and one 3-yr. old. Now, I too need more room. I have the problem solved though... Someone will have to stay behind. I'm not ready to give this bird up. :)  
 
Kurt 
 
-----Original Message-----
From: tmartino at troubleshooter.com
To: amillin at sbcglobal.net; reflector at tvbf.org
Sent: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 9:55 AM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Cirrus and Velocity


Andy ... I appreciate the question.  In hindsight I wish I built the XL.  
However, at the time I bought the kit (which had already been started) ... it 
was the standard (Elite) fuselage with long wings and canard.  I was also 
looking for maximum speed!  And I DID NOT HAVE CHILDREN AT THE TIME.
 
Well ... things changed in a big way.  After thinking I was sterile for many, 
many years ... I fathered two children!
 
The Velocity is my Ferrari ... the Cirrus is my family wagon.
 
Tom
 
 

________________________________

From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org on behalf of Andy Millin
Sent: Mon 3/19/2007 9:04 AM
To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
Subject: REFLECTOR: Cirrus and Velocity


Tom,
 
I am asking this question with a bit of a curious grin.  You have said the 
Velocity is stingy on the cabin space and you prefer the Cirrus for x-country.
 
I know this is a hindsight question...
 
If cabin room was/is a primary consideration ... why did you build the standard 
fuselage?
 
I know Pat Shea has some very impressive performance numbers and has the XL 
fuselage.
 
When I have visitors over to look at my project, it's almost guaranteed they 
will comment on how large the plane is and how much room is in the cabin.
 
Honest question.  Not trying to be smart.
 
Andy

________________________________

From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf 
Of Tom Martino
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2007 12:22 AM
To: Velocity List
Subject: REFLECTOR: HOW FAST?


OK, in speed tests this weekend, I was able to true out at 210 knots pretty 
consistently.  I was at 23 inches and 2400 RPM.  I still had throttle travel 
left.  Flight controls were solid and no sign of flutter.  Should I push it even 
further?  At what point do I know I have gone far enough?  
 
Tom Martino
173 Elite RG - 300 HP (IO-540)
 

_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
________________________________________________________________________
AOL now offers free email to everyone.  Find out more about what's free from AOL at AOL.com.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20070319/eb9888d9/attachment.html 


More information about the Reflector mailing list