REFLECTOR: Questions for those already flying

Ronnie Brown romott at roadrunner.com
Thu Mar 15 17:37:44 CDT 2007


I have a 173 Elite RG with fixed prop Catto.

I have the speed brake - it is somewhat helpful if you a bit high and fast on a short runway, but as Larry says, with good planning (but not getting TOO slow), 1500-2000 foot roll outs are achieveable although I try not to work the brakes too hard.  Typically I will use 3000 feet with easy braking. 

I fly IFR and have never had any problems meeting a controller's descent (or ascent!!!!) requests - without using the speedbrake or extending the gear.  It is a fast airplane - plan ahead!

My cabin heat works reasonably well - I have found that if I open it completely - which blocks off the exit air from the cooler - and forcing all of the air into the cabin it provides decent heat.  If the sun is shining - it gets too warm, with outside temps in the 25-30 deg.  You will need to work on minimizing cold air leaks into the cabin from the nose gear area and from the elevator torque tubes.  I built up the outside of the fuselage at the torque tube exits to create a negative pressure area at the torque tube.  Basically, a lttle hump in front of the torque tube with a sliver of foam and covered with micro.

I have good engine cooling with a single oil cooler mounted up front - separate oil lines down each side of the fuselage and carefully fitting the cooling plenum to the engine with wraps under the cylinders.  Summer temps run about 200-205, 210-215 on a hard climbout, but CHT's are kept bleow 360 degrees by increasing the cruise climb speed and /or pulling back on the power a bit during climbs.  I agree with Scott, if you have good EGT instruments, you can run lean of peak and keep the heads even cooler.  I can cruise at 310 deg CHT's, burning 7.5 GPH and cruising at 155 knots at 7-9000 MSL.

At 320 hours and LOVING IT!!!!
Ronnie Brown  
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Laurence Coen 
  To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list 
  Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2007 1:35 PM
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Questions for those already flying


  Jack,

  I have a standard RG and no speed brake.  Conventional wisdom at the time I was making the same decision, was that it was not necessary on an RG.  If I do it just right I have made a 1500 ft. turnoff with liberal use of brakes.  2000 ft. is normal.  When my nose gear jammed 800 ft. was enough.  If you're high and hot on approach you will use a lot of runway.  IMHO a good approach is easier to do than building a speed brake.

  The heater is useful in the summer for altitudes above 10,000 ft.  In the winter you need to dress appropriately.  Partially blocking air flow through the oil cooler to raise the oil temp. will help.  The oil cooler up front also helps the CG location.

  Larry Coen
  N136LC
    ----- Original Message ----- 
    From: Jack Prock 
    To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list 
    Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2007 8:16 PM
    Subject: REFLECTOR: Questions for those already flying


    Hi,

    A couple questions for those already flying...

    If you didn't install a speedbrake, if you were to do it again would you install it? 

    If you did install a speedbrake, are you glad you did? Do you use it often?

    I have heard that with RG's it is hard to heat the cabin at altitude and/or winter. If you could do
    it again, would you still cut the NACA for the oil cooler? I have heard people using two coolers,
    one near the engine to be used during the summer,  and another in the nose that
    is used as a heater during the winter. Any thoughts? 

    Thanks,

    Jack Prock


----------------------------------------------------------------------------


    _______________________________________________
    To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

    Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
    user:pw     Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
    Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html


------------------------------------------------------------------------------


  _______________________________________________
  To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

  Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
  user:pw   Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
  Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20070315/de0ca49d/attachment-0001.htm 


More information about the Reflector mailing list