REFLECTOR: oil cooler issues

bdtopp at comcast.net bdtopp at comcast.net
Thu Mar 15 11:47:44 CDT 2007


Tom,
   Do you know what oil temp the previous owner was experiencing?  It could be that it has always been that high since the aircraft first flew.  I started out with two oil coolers plumbed into my XLFG.  A nose cooler and a engine compartment cooler.  I intially did not plumb air to the engine compartment cooler because I start flying my airplane in the winter with outside temps 30 degrees F or less.  My oil temps were between 185 - 190.  The other day when air temps were a 40 degrees (or slightly higher) my oil temps climbed to 201.  I definitely need two oil coolers (40 degrees or above) and I'm in the process of plumbing air to the second one.  Maybe you need two oil coolers as oil temps have always been high in your airplane?  Something to think about...

Bruce
-------------- Original message -------------- 
From: Scott Derrick <scott at tnstaafl.net> 

> 255 is not running hot, thats smoking! You gotta get that down. My 
> rule of thumb is to change the oil if it ever gets above 250. The most 
> likely culprit is leaking baffles around the engine. My engine ran hot 
> until I got really really anal about sealing the baffles. No hole 
> allowed greater than 1/4 inch, no seam greater than 1/32 inch. no holes 
> and totally flush is best. I also installed turning vanes in the oil 
> cooler duct. Be sure the oil cooler-to-duct interface doesn't leak at 
> all. If your engine is fuel injected and you have an all cylinder egt 
> gauge you may consider trying to run LOP. Your engine will run 25/50 
> degrees cooler vs. running ROP at the same HP setting. You may need to 
> play "swap the injectors" game to get the cylinders balanced enough to 
> run LOP. 
> 
> I had a cold airplane in the winter. Mainly due to two reasons. 
> Inadequate sealing of the nose gear mechanism and using the nose oil 
> cooler as the cabin heater. When its -20 outside, the nose oil cooler 
> as a cabin heater is trying to raise the temperature at least 100 
> degrees, 120/140 would be better if the plane is cold to start with. It 
> just can't do it. 
> 
> I have a internal oil heated cabin heater now that will recirculate the 
> cabin air which should be able to roast us alive. Its not flown yet so 
> can't say if y design works well or not. 
> 
> Scott 
> 
> Tom wrote: 
> > Hi, I'm a new Velocity owner and had a few issues while flying it home. 
> > One was that there was an oil cooler leak, I've removed and will 
> > pressure test today to determine if it's indeed the cooler or just 
> > fittings. In looking at it I noticed that it utilizes inlet and outlet 
> > on same (side) tank. Won't a lot of the oil just pressure right through 
> > at 75psi and not fall through the cooling lines/fins?? Is this a normal 
> > set up or poetic license by builder? It does run too hot (225 in cruise) 
> > and does not have a 2nd cooler. The cooler is an SW10557A which I can't 
> > seem to locate either as far as replacement if I need one. What are most 
> > folks using?? thx much Tom/Fort Myers 
> > _______________________________________________ 
> > To change your email address, visit 
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector 
> > 
> > Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery 
> > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose 
> > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail 
> > Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html 
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > 
> 
> -- 
> 
> - 
> Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it. 
> 
> George Bernard Shaw, Liberty 
> 
> _______________________________________________ 
> To change your email address, visit 
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector 
> 
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery 
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose 
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail 
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html 
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20070315/68b66f75/attachment.html 


More information about the Reflector mailing list