REFLECTOR: On factory interaction with builders

bdtopp at comcast.net bdtopp at comcast.net
Wed Mar 14 11:33:52 CDT 2007


So the point being...  If you want to do less work, you will need to spend more money.  There's nothing magical about that.  When I purchased my kit 6 yrs ago, there was nothing even close to the a Velocity in a 4 place airplane that had their price/performance point.  For me that was the determining factor.  I personally think the Velocity is a good compromise between price and the amount of work you need to perform on parts/componets shipped from the factory.  If it wasn't for Velocity, I would of built a two place airplane based soley on my budget at the time.

Bruce Topp

-------------- Original message -------------- 
From: "Tom Martino" <tmartino at troubleshooter.com> 

> Good observation but not necessarily accurate. If you compare apples 
> with apples, the increased cost of the kits pays off when it comes to 
> the "end game". Because they are more "standard" and have a better 
> overall "fit" and quality ... the final assembly and finishing touches 
> go faster and easier. The Velocity will require a lot of 
> "customization" and "one-up" type of stuff that adds up quickly. 
> 
> -----Original Message----- 
> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On 
> Behalf Of Lawrence Epstein,MD 
> Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2007 8:34 AM 
> To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list' 
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: On factory interaction with builders 
> 
> IMHO, you are comparing apples and oranges. 
> Van's are Metal aircraft and the fit & finish are variable, but 
> different. 
> 
> Lancair is a composite aircraft which I admit the current fleet is 
> easier & therefore possibly more likely to have a finer fit & finish 
> than the Velocity, it is also $39,500 for the least expensive (current) 
> model (2 seats FG Legacy). The 4 seat ES is $82,500. If you compare the 
> Velocity to the Lancair 360 & 320, I think that the finished product 
> compares favorably. 
> 
> Larry Epstein 
> 
> -----Original Message----- 
> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On 
> Behalf Of Tom Martino 
> Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2007 9:26 AM 
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list 
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: On factory interaction with builders 
> 
> What you say is technically true ... but when you compare Velocity with 
> Van and Lancair ... the company and factory fails by comparison. I can 
> say this from personal experience based on my business dealings with 
> professional builders. And after seeing other kits from the ground up. 
> 
> The "other" kit manufacturers I mention have more consistency, 
> owner/builder communication, overall quality and a more reliable fleet. 
> 
> Oh, I know, I will be criticized for my views. And I will hear from the 
> "Velocity can do no wrong" club ... but instead of being blinded by our 
> love for the plane (yes, I still love my Velocity) we need to open our 
> eyes to reality. 
> 
> There have been numerous occasions where the factory had no idea how to 
> answer a question or solve a particular issue ... even though I knew 
> other builders had the same questions or issues. 
> 
> The company does not seem to build on past experience and the wealth of 
> knowledge accumulated from their customer base. 
> 
> In short, I think finished Velocities in general, lack the finish, trim 
> and reliability of other kits planes. When you see an outstanding 
> Velocity, it stands out. It is outstanding in spite of the factory -- 
> not because of it. 
> 
> Tom Martino 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> -----Original Message----- 
> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On 
> Behalf Of Ron Brown 
> Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2007 5:40 AM 
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list 
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: On factory interaction with builders 
> 
> These are after all, homebuilt aircraft. Velocity Aircraft Inc. 
> provides us 
> with a pile of parts - it is our responsibility to turn it into an 
> airplane, 
> to fly it, and to maintain them. It is our airplane that the FAA 
> certifies. 
> 
> Since there are over 300 (or is it over 400 now?) of us Velocity 
> aircraft 
> manufacturers - it would be impossible for VA, Inc to keep up with 
> everything that we are want to incorporate or enhance. 
> 
> I think we manufacturers should do a better job of informing the other 
> manufacturers of any problems we are encountering. The Reflector is an 
> outstanding way to do this - we just need to do a better job. Surely 
> somebody else saw the note about the problem with the cylinders and 
> could 
> have told us about it. 
> 
> Scott B. has been very patient with us manufacturers. I know Duane has 
> had 
> many heart burns over the criticism the factory receives over just about 
> 
> anything - starting with Velocity Views or a disagreement because 
> certain 
> builder enhancements haven't been universally incorporated and 
> backfitted to 
> all previous kits. 
> 
> Brian Michalk has even been burned at the stake numerous times for his 
> very 
> generous hosting of the Reflector. Unfortunately, some of our fellow 
> manufacturers have departed the Reflector over the harsh responses to 
> some 
> of their questions or suggestions. Some of us just have never heard the 
> 
> word TACT! The Reflector is NOT the creation or responsibility of VA, 
> Inc. 
> 
> Thank you Scott B for your EXTREME patience! 
> 
> Ronnie Brown 
> A VERY satisfied customer of a pile of parts - which now a GREAT 
> airplane - 
> because I manufactured it, I fly it, and I maintain it. 
> EAA Technical Counselor & Flight Advisor 
> 
> _______________________________________________ 
> To change your email address, visit 
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector 
> 
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery 
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose 
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail 
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html 
> _______________________________________________ 
> To change your email address, visit 
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector 
> 
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery 
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose 
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail 
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html 
> 
> _______________________________________________ 
> To change your email address, visit 
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector 
> 
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery 
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose 
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail 
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html 
> _______________________________________________ 
> To change your email address, visit 
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector 
> 
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery 
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose 
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail 
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html 
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20070314/304acc7a/attachment-0001.html 


More information about the Reflector mailing list