REFLECTOR: engine choice
Tom Martino
tmartino at troubleshooter.com
Wed Mar 14 09:54:02 CDT 2007
I have a standard "Elite RG", with the long wind and canard. I installed an IO540. I bought the Alan Shaw cowling (but there are no more available). We had to modify it quite a bit to get it to fit. I also had a special engine mount that holds the engine closer to the firewall. I do not recall that the firewall is beefier than the rest - it is quite sufficient. I also require ballast in the nose. BTW ... it is a screemer!
________________________________
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Lawrence Epstein,MD
Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2007 8:25 AM
To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: engine choice
Before the existence of the "XL", more than 1 builder put larger engines (540?) in a standard Velocity. I believe Alan Shaw/Malcolm had at least 1 project. The feeling was that there had to be significant "beefing up" to handle the increased load/weight/HP, particularly @ the Spar/Firewall interface.
The above is from memory, but I it has been done.
Larry Epstein.
What about the Deltahawk?
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Benedikt Harren
Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2007 10:14 AM
To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: engine choice
Dave,
How much are you paying per year / flight experience? How long before you were "trouble free" and do you think it is doable for a Std. RG Elite fuselage with short wings considering that you would have to increase the gross weight to 2900 (wings to small to take load?) What are you performance numbers (cruise/fuel consumption)?
Ben Harren
( Std RG Elite N888GF / just getting started)
________________________________
Von: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] Im Auftrag von David Bertram
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 14. März 2007 15:00
An: reflector at tvbf.org
Betreff: Re: REFLECTOR: engine choice
I have a Chevy v/8 and get my insurance from Falcon Ins. The only limit is 100,000 on the hull. Dave Bertram
N350TX
-------Original Message-------
From: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <mailto:reflector at tvbf.org>
Date: 03/13/07 19:53:27
To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list' <mailto:reflector at tvbf.org>
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: engine choice
Hello Ben,
There are others who are much more advanced (Flying) than I but here's the issues I considered.
I was seriously looking at an auto engine option a while ago and this has been discussed on reflector several times in the past few years. Major issues for me were:
* I'm not aware of a firewall forward/backward package for Velocities yet (I was considering a Mazda engine), so I would have to do some or a lot of my own engineering engine mounts, exhausts etc - something I don't feel qualified or experienced enough to do. I believe someone is working on this but I could be wrong.
* Additional construction time
* The thing that really stopped me from any further consideration of auto engines was the issue of getting insurance here in the US. Apparently insurance companies are unwilling to provide liability and/or hull insurance for auto engine Velocities and maybe other experimental aircraft, although they may provide insurance when you're parked in a hangar (that is insurance against theft, vandalism etc). I like flying but not enough to risk all my assets if I had an accident/incident that was my fault.
There are other issues that I'm sure others will provide good input to your decision and there are a number of flying Velocities with auto engines, so others have taken a different path from the one I'm taking. If things change, to alter my concerns then I would certainly reconsider the engine choice, I have a loooong way to go yet.
Tony
SEFG 62% done, 78% to go
www.alejandra.net/velocity
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Benedikt Harren
Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 2:49 PM
To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
Subject: REFLECTOR: engine choice
Hi all,
I emailed with scott b. today regarding tools for my shop (just getting started) and the dual yoke option (with low cut keel). I also asked him about engine choices and told him that I was thinking about going automotive (once I get to that point). I have looked at Bill Mulrooney's V-8 installation which looks very promising (good T/O & climb performance + low fuel consumption + lots of HP). I have a Standard RG Elite model and was wondering if the smaller wing will be able to take the load of the heavier engine installation (similar to an IO-540)? After all, the only difference between the long and the short wing seems to be the wing itself, since the main spar looks identical !? I also noticed that load factors, published on the velocity website for the XLs are smaller than the ones for the Stds, letting me belief that the wings are of similar strength? I was just wondering what the group's input was on this (V8 installation with gross weight increase to 2800).
Anybody else flying or building a V8 velocity?
Kind regards,
Ben Harren
( Std RG Elite N888GF / just getting started)
<http://www.incredimail.com/index.asp?idT475>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20070314/7b32c98d/attachment-0001.html
More information about the Reflector
mailing list