REFLECTOR: Battery contactor hot potato
Scott Derrick
scott at tnstaafl.net
Mon Mar 12 10:09:20 CDT 2007
battery relays use quite a bit of electricity in a very small area, so
they will get quite warm. The coil has to pull pretty hard to insure a
good contact or the contacts could heat up and weld or melt which would
be very bad.
Scott
Alex wrote:
> Dear fellow Velocitarians,
> I have been getting to the wiring, and to do testing ect, I had one of my
> battery contactors energized so I could get power to my bus- was not using
> any power for the most part- just needed to see if my strobes, and other
> things functioned for a few seconds, but after about 30 minutes of being on
> with no load, I went to disconnect, and the solenoid was quite hot- too hot
> to hold for more than about 5 seconds- BTW- I am not accidentally using a
> momentary solenoid- it is a continuous type- but the coil must be using a
> good amount of power to get that hot I am thinking- is this a normal
> condition or is there something wrong with my unit?
>
> Alex
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
>
>
--
-
The antidote for misuse of freedom of speech is more freedom of speech.
Molly Ivans
More information about the Reflector
mailing list